Forgot some details that might help. When I say system is dead I mean system is dead. When power is turned on I can hear cooling fan turn on for 1 - 2 seconds then machine is dead. Just the orange stand-bye light flashing on the tower.
OK, I ran knoppix 5.1.0-en from cd and it worked great. I shut the system down and now my machine won't turn back on. Any ideas what could cause this?
Only thing I did before booting knoppix was change bios settings boot sequence to "boot from cdrom" as option 1 and boot from hd C as option 2. After logging knoppix off and removing cd I tried to restart the computer but it is frozen. I am stuck. It should have booted to windows right? Now it won't turn on at all. Everything was working fine prior to using knoppix live cd, during use of knoppix, but why won't the machine turn back on? It's driving me nuts.
system info:
Dell dimension 8110
Intel celeron 2.34ghz
windows xp home
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Forgot some details that might help. When I say system is dead I mean system is dead. When power is turned on I can hear cooling fan turn on for 1 - 2 seconds then machine is dead. Just the orange stand-bye light flashing on the tower.
Try unplugging the machine and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Then plug it back in and try to boot it up.Originally Posted by robb01
Hopefully you can at least get to the BIOS screen. Otherwise you might have some kind of hardware problem that needs investigation. The OS does not boot up until after the BIOS screen is shown so it is unlikely that the problem is related to MS Windows or anything on your hard drive.
Maybe one of your cables has a loose connection. Usually if you have a critical error, a Dell PC will give a series of "beep" sounds upon initial power up. You can go to the Dell web site and read the manual for your PC to decode these beeps.
If you don't even get to the initial BIOS screen or to the "beep" sounds then it is likely that you have a power supply problem.

Rare Vintage 63 Key ASCII Mechanical Computer Keyboard Original Box Untested WoW
$149.00
Vintage computer AMD K6-2 300 MHz 96 MB ram No HDD/No OS
$79.99
Vintage Media Vision Pro Audio Studio PAS16 ISA Sound Card 650-0060 A. PC
$90.00
7 Vintage Microsoft Software CDs Lot Windows XP Home 2000 95 Works PC
$35.98
Ultimate Vintage PC Memory Lot – 21+ Assorted Retro Desktop/Server RAM Sticks
$95.00
Vintage Dell Logitech OEM Enhanced MouseWare 8.02a Floppy Disks P/N 2729C SEALED
$19.99
Vintage 1983 Timex Sinclair 2068 Color Computer PC, Complete in Box
$349.99
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
Vintage Intel iPDS-100 Personal Development System
$1499.99
Retro Vintage PCI Video Card Creative Labs CT6670 3Dfx Voodoo2 8MB Tested Works
$180.00