Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Knoppix multisession, config on second!

  1. #1
    russ hancox
    Guest

    Knoppix multisession, config on second!

    I dunno how hard that would be but someone should suggest to klaus to make the knoppix cd a multisession and have the ability to save your config file as a second session then have that automatically loaded on boot.

    See cool linux.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    hi there, I looked into this a bit more as i think it's a great idea.. but :

    from what i read as suse, multisession support isn't that good, it seems to be cdrom drive dependent.
    every session ads 30MB of leadin-leadout per session!

    I did find this in my search though : Overlay filesystem, VERY COOL!!!
    not sure if it ever got to a stable stage though.
    http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...01.0/0132.html

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    I'm a Linux newbie and Knoppix is the version I use. It would be cool when you shut down, if you could easily save your configs to the HD. Then when Knoppix boots back up next session, you are given the option to load it back up or start fresh.

    Knoppix is HD aware as it grabbed an ext2 swap partition on my HD and uses it for swap. I wouldn't mind carving some more Linux partitons for Knoppix to save files to and the wished for saved config files.

    It's awesome how well this distro works. I tried to install Libranet 2.0 and it choked just after I'd formatted the partitions. No found CD-ROM drivers or it just couldn't find it. I think Libranet should have not tried to do so much from the two floppies and just packed the first with more drivers. Then they could do the rest from the CD. Knoppix has no problems like that for me.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470

    look into persistant Home

    If you want to use a hd partition for saving data etc. and still run knoppix from CD you should look into the persistant Home package. You'll either need to have a floppy or reburn a modded cd iso.

    here is a link:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=460#460

    rock

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    The closest that comes to this idea seems to be CD-Persistant for Morphix, http://am.xs4all.nl/phpwiki/index.php/CD-Persistant

    "This mini-module saves user files, setting and configurations to another mini-module. When the generated mini-module(s) are loaded it will auto-magically restore these files. The mini-module can be used in conjunction with a Morphix CD burnt as a multi-session CD, to save your user files, setting and configuration to the same CD"

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Knoppix multisession, config on second!

    Quote Originally Posted by russ hancox
    I dunno how hard that would be but someone should suggest to klaus to make the knoppix cd a multisession and have the ability to save your config file as a second session....
    I think it's a great idea, but I have another question. Will it work? Here's why I ask: I made a bootable Damn Small Linux CD and kept the CD open for a second session. I booted it, and used the CD writed in DSL to write some files to the CD as a second session. This all worked and the files were on the CD, along with the original DSL files. But the CD was no longer bootable. Apparently something in writing the second session changed the disc enough to affect how it boot. Does anyone know a way to write to the second session and still keep the disc bootable (and why it wasn't bootable in the above case)?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    sadly NOT. as the "mbr" has to be rewritten to list new files.
    yes, i KNOW, that description is not 100% corect but close enough for now
    and yes i know about inodes... this is just a simplified description.

    only way i can think of is if it was "partitioned", then the new partitiuon should have a mbr of its own.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    Re: Knoppix multisession, config on second!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by russ hancox
    I dunno how hard that would be but someone should suggest to klaus to make the knoppix cd a multisession and have the ability to save your config file as a second session....
    I think it's a great idea, but I have another question. Will it work? Here's why I ask: I made a bootable Damn Small Linux CD and kept the CD open for a second session. I booted it, and used the CD writed in DSL to write some files to the CD as a second session. This all worked and the files were on the CD, along with the original DSL files. But the CD was no longer bootable. Apparently something in writing the second session changed the disc enough to affect how it boot. Does anyone know a way to write to the second session and still keep the disc bootable (and why it wasn't bootable in the above case)?
    It should work. There are some posts about it in the WIKI. Perhaps they do something different?!

    cu

    Fabian

    PS: (Sorry for the full quote)

Similar Threads

  1. ISDN-CONFIG in Knoppix 3.6
    By zip.it in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 07:17 AM
  2. KNOPPIX @ HDD -> Lilo Config?!
    By desty in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 06:07 PM
  3. knoppix .config file
    By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 07:15 PM
  4. GUI for Apache config on knoppix ?
    By ktheking in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2003, 08:00 PM
  5. Please Post a Simple CONFIG file for Kernel Config
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-06-2003, 05:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



VTG Atari 600XL Home Computer System in Box ** Powers On ** Clean * Tested Works picture

VTG Atari 600XL Home Computer System in Box ** Powers On ** Clean * Tested Works

$148.75



Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer picture

Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer

$72.00



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00



Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED  picture

Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED

$67.76



VIC 20 Paddles & Joystick ATARI &3cartidg  Boxed & Untested picture

VIC 20 Paddles & Joystick ATARI &3cartidg Boxed & Untested

$199.99



Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on picture

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on

$255.00



Atari 400 800 The Communicator II Kit CIB CX488 Modem Cartridge Box picture

Atari 400 800 The Communicator II Kit CIB CX488 Modem Cartridge Box

$80.00



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U picture

Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U

$159.99