Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix versus Standard HD install

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    13

    Knoppix versus Standard HD install

    Hi,

    I am interested in how Knoppix runs as I would like to make my own distribution. How does the Knoppix boot process differ from a standard linux harddrive install? What needs to be done to make a harddrive install run from a cd (Is it possible to make a live filesystem from just a harddrive install)?


    Thanks,
    Walter

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Knoppix versus Standard HD install

    Quote Originally Posted by walterw
    Hi,

    I am interested in how Knoppix runs as I would like to make my own distribution. How does the Knoppix boot process differ from a standard linux harddrive install?
    Standard? What's that? No two Linux distros install the same way.

    What needs to be done to make a harddrive install run from a cd (Is it possible to make a live filesystem from just a harddrive install)?
    Dude- read the docs




    Thanks,
    Walter[/quote]

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    13

    Knoppix

    The reason I asked is that I don't see any documentation where you pointed me (I looked there before and again). Is there any documentation describing howto setup a live filesystem and how it runs more specifically? Would you happen to know of software that automates this process for you, such as build your own bootable linux cd BBLCD, linuxfromscratch, etc?


    Thanks,
    Walter

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    There is the Knoppix remaster

    There are Custom versions.

    And don't forget Projects

    Also a customization script. There has been mention that this script is in violation of some yet-to-be-enacted software patenting law in Europe. I dunno.

    If nothing else try the
    Mailing list. You can ask Klaus and the other developers themselves questions. There are a number of people who have already made customized distros. It can be done.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    13

    Knoppix

    Thanks,

    I have always used RedHat and just feel accustomed to it so much so that I would prefer to RedHat for making a live OS from that. I cannot get past the Debian install, I downloaded and burned the ISO images, but when running the install, I can never find the modules and drivers on the disc so the install does not go very far. My understanding of linux (which is very limited) is that all distributions tend to use a similar layout; however, the kernels are slightly different along with binaries. Are there any other differences between linux distros?


    Walter

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix 32-bit versus 64-bit distros
    By michael7 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-27-2005, 02:49 AM
  2. Root versus user with klik
    By lilsirecho in forum Klik
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2005, 03:56 PM
  3. Compiling with DJGPP versus Knoppix
    By kepler in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2004, 01:19 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-25-2004, 11:06 PM
  5. why dosnt standard knoppix have f-prot antivirus?
    By reecegeorge in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-05-2003, 01:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99



AS IS READ DESCRIP. Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF picture

AS IS READ DESCRIP. Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF

$215.00



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



Lenovo ThinkSystem SN550 Blade | 7X16 | 01KP356 | Drives and RAM not included picture

Lenovo ThinkSystem SN550 Blade | 7X16 | 01KP356 | Drives and RAM not included

$299.99