-
Junior Member
registered user
Knoppix versus Standard HD install
Hi,
I am interested in how Knoppix runs as I would like to make my own distribution. How does the Knoppix boot process differ from a standard linux harddrive install? What needs to be done to make a harddrive install run from a cd (Is it possible to make a live filesystem from just a harddrive install)?
Thanks,
Walter
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Knoppix versus Standard HD install

Originally Posted by
walterw
Hi,
I am interested in how Knoppix runs as I would like to make my own distribution. How does the Knoppix boot process differ from a standard linux harddrive install?
Standard? What's that? No two Linux distros install the same way.
What needs to be done to make a harddrive install run from a cd (Is it possible to make a live filesystem from just a harddrive install)?
Dude- read the docs
Thanks,
Walter[/quote]
-
Junior Member
registered user
Knoppix
The reason I asked is that I don't see any documentation where you pointed me (I looked there before and again). Is there any documentation describing howto setup a live filesystem and how it runs more specifically? Would you happen to know of software that automates this process for you, such as build your own bootable linux cd BBLCD, linuxfromscratch, etc?
Thanks,
Walter
-
Senior Member
registered user
There is the Knoppix remaster
There are Custom versions.
And don't forget Projects
Also a customization script. There has been mention that this script is in violation of some yet-to-be-enacted software patenting law in Europe. I dunno.
If nothing else try the
Mailing list. You can ask Klaus and the other developers themselves questions. There are a number of people who have already made customized distros. It can be done.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Knoppix
Thanks,
I have always used RedHat and just feel accustomed to it so much so that I would prefer to RedHat for making a live OS from that. I cannot get past the Debian install, I downloaded and burned the ISO images, but when running the install, I can never find the modules and drivers on the disc so the install does not go very far. My understanding of linux (which is very limited) is that all distributions tend to use a similar layout; however, the kernels are slightly different along with binaries. Are there any other differences between linux distros?
Walter
Similar Threads
-
By michael7 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 8
Last Post: 06-27-2005, 02:49 AM
-
By lilsirecho in forum Klik
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-22-2005, 03:56 PM
-
By kepler in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-06-2004, 01:19 PM
-
By ovidiu in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-25-2004, 11:06 PM
-
By reecegeorge in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 11-05-2003, 01:39 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari 400/800 Computer CPU PCB Module Board with NTSC GTIA - Works Perfectly
$42.95

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats
$35.00

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly
$18.95

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS
$16.95

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller
$29.99

Atari 800 Computer CX801 10K ROM Personality Module CX801 - Works Perfectly
$23.95

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29