-
no internet after chroot
Hey gang,
I've been booting KNOPPIX 3.6 from a USB drive using a boot floppy for a little while now and want to update the packages on the original live CD. I'm using the traditional remaster tutorial found here:
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto
following these directions exactly I come to a problem after I chroot to the mounted /knx/source/KNOPPIX directory. I type the command:
Code:
mount -t proc /dev/proc proc
and get no errors or messages or anything like that. when I try to ping google (or any other site), however, I get
Code:
ping: unknown host google.com
naturally, it's not hard to believe that apt-get update doesn't work either...
any idea how to get the net working in my chroot environment?
also, how would I change the apt-get source? I'm pretty sure this one is out of date.
I would just update to 5.1.1 but I'm unaware of any ways to boot it from a USB using a floppy since the 2.6 kernel is too large to fit on a single disc
thanks a bunch!
kiley
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: no internet after chroot

Originally Posted by
kvbriggs
...following these directions exactly I come to a problem after I chroot to the mounted /knx/source/KNOPPIX directory. I type the command:
Code:
mount -t proc /dev/proc proc
and get no errors or messages or anything like that. when I try to ping google (or any other site), however, I get
Code:
ping: unknown host google.com
...any idea how to get the net working in my chroot environment?
After you did the command (corresponding to example)
Code:
cp /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf
check that the nameserver address, that you know(?!) works in the live CD environment is in your source resolv.conf
...also, how would I change the apt-get source? I'm pretty sure this one is out of date...
For Knoppix 3.6 I think the best bet would be to use the Debian Stable ("Sarge") repositories.
Here are repositories from the /etc/apt/sources.list file I used with Knoppix 3.7 (you might want to change the mirrors depending where you are)
-
hi
what JonnyH had quoted will work.
I had a curious problem /etc/resolv.conf was a symlink to /etc/dhcp/resolv.conf. Ping did not work. I removed the symlink and created a /etc/resolv.conf afresh and it worked. but Make sure that you restore the symlink once you are finished
-
thanks guys. I'm off to bed for now but I'll give it another shot tomorrow. I've been at this project quite a bit this past week and needed a day or so to start fresh. I'll let you know how it goes!
-
Junior Member
registered user
Perosnally, I did something different than
cp /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf
command which did not work for me because /mnt/hda1 was no longer mounted for me in the chroot enviroment. I just opened a new non-root shell, checked out the resolv.conf and next went back into the root shell with chroot active and mofied /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf.
I'm not an expert at this, so don't take this idea as the golden solution.
Similar Threads
-
By exxfile in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-02-2009, 05:35 PM
-
By maxmartin in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-15-2006, 11:28 PM
-
By gursharnsingh in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 09:38 PM
-
By rdmelin in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-20-2003, 02:27 PM
-
By sminotti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board
$24.99

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01
$127.06

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00

VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare
$380.00

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable
$75.00

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A
$22.67

RARE VINTAGE Kontron 80 Psi Compact Microcomputer Computer Germany Early 1980s
$399.99