Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix Filesystem?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix Filesystem?

    (My first post!)

    Hi,

    I'm a fair newbie to Knoppix and, shamefullly, to Linux in general. However I'm working on that!

    A group of us have been asked to write a presentation about Knoppix for university, and I have been left in charge of the File System section.

    I'm struggling with this, as I know of course that Linux/Unix uses very different file systems to DOS/Windows, and I can easily research this. But I'm finding it hard to understand whether Knoppix can actually be considered to have a set filesystem as it is a Live CD? Is it not all about compatability with other systems?

    I was wondering if anyone could help guide me in the right direction. I dont want you to write my presentation for me (of course!), but if you could recommend any particular sources of info, or a nudge towards how to go about this I would really appreciate it.

    Anyway, thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    159
    Perhaps you should distinguish between the filesystem types knoppix supports (same as linux in general: ext2, ext3, reiser, xfs, vfat, ntfs, ntfs-3g...) and the compressed one it uses to cram so much software on a cdrom (google for cloop).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2
    Thanks very much for the reply, I've looked into cloop and will definately be including that.

    I have been reading about UnionFS also, which I believe is the way Knoppix combines the read only CD with the persistent settings? Would you agree this is an important inclusion for what I'm writing about?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    159
    Sure, unionfs was an important addition, that I only overlooked because I have been using knoppix even before its inclusion ;-)

Similar Threads

  1. Can't find Knoppix filesystem...
    By jonallen23 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 10:27 PM
  2. Can't find Knoppix filesystem...
    By chiram in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 07:35 AM
  3. cannot find knoppix filesystem
    By phrankie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2006, 08:54 PM
  4. can't find Knoppix filesystem
    By colonius in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 06:09 PM
  5. other filesystem für knoppix?
    By claudiameierde in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 12:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...

$749.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo Yoga 11e Gen 5 2-in-1 Touchscreen 11

Lenovo Yoga 11e Gen 5 2-in-1 Touchscreen 11" HD Laptop 4GB 128GB SSD Windows 11

$99.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6" Full HD Laptop - Intel Processor N355 2025- 8G...

$349.99



Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16" WUXGA Touch Ryzen 7 8845HS 16GB 512GB SSD FPReader

$571.00



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$259.25



Lenovo Thinkbook 15 G2, i5 1135G7, 256GB, 8GB, 20VE003GUS no OS, Iris Xe, 15.6

Lenovo Thinkbook 15 G2, i5 1135G7, 256GB, 8GB, 20VE003GUS no OS, Iris Xe, 15.6"

$200.00