-
Partitions don't mount!
I have some partitioned drives, and they will not mount. At least one has files on it, or should. I would like to retreive these. Any suggestions? I need to look at "su returned with an error" threads a bit more as well, but it is late here (or is it early?)
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Partitions don't mount!

Originally Posted by
Briana83
.... but it is late here (or is it early?)
Suggestions:
- 1) Get some sleep. File recovery is not the kind of thing that you want to do tired. The files will wait.
2) Tell people more about your problem. What type of partitions are these that you have your files on? What error message or other feedback do you get when the partition will not mount?
3) If this is the all too common problem of Windows destroying it's own partitions and not being able to access the files because the partition information in the MBR is mucked up, you very well might be able to fix it with gpart or testcd (man pages are available on each). But I'm certainly not advising you to rush to do this without a better understanding of what you have. And obviously there are some kinds of disk damage that no software is going to recover from.
-
Well, the tech guy said he copied the files over, and I have tried asking him. He must have been far too busy that day to help me, or just didn't know what to do. I will have to look at gpart and testcd. By the way, here is the error I am getting on both of the partitions I wish to access.

The irritating thing is that before I got this "fixed" Knoppix opened the files when it was on CD. So if he messed it up, since he saw what had happened (not like I couldn't have just written to CD or DVD when I had that disk in in since I have 2 optical drives!) I will be VERY angry.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Still very little to go on...
try this:
open a terminal window (get used to people saying this :P )... and issue the following:
Code:
su
<you will be asked for root's password. Enter it>
mount /dev/hdb1
Does the partition mount? Does it give an error? if so issue this:
The last few lines should relate to your mount error. Please post here 
My feeling is that your problem is related to the ' su returned an error ' issue
Take care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye
-
-
Okay I need to do this if I reboot, too. But it still worked.
-
Senior Member
registered user
'....Okay I need to do this if I reboot...."
Yes.... filesystems do not stay mounted for good... they must be mounted when needed. This is a security measure to keep something for accessing the filesystem thay shouldnt be there.
Are you running a INstalled system?.... if so this thread will help you resolve the "su returned an error" issue. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26361.
Take care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye
-
trying to copy the files to a DVD-R got me an error though: "Accessing files is not supported with the protocol about." What? Seriously, I know Knoppix is from Germany but huh?
Similar Threads
-
By redhawk in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-20-2006, 12:35 PM
-
By milkjam in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-26-2004, 05:00 AM
-
By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-24-2004, 02:03 PM
-
By sb73542 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-13-2004, 01:32 AM
-
By henrique in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-24-2003, 12:05 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Lot 43 Mixed Brands Micron MT16KTF1G64HZ-1G6N1 8GB 2Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-13-F3 RAM
$649.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit
$199.99

Mixed Lot of 248 SAMSUNG 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R DDR3 M393B1K70CH0-CH9Q5 Server RAM
$1999.99

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

Micron 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA-ED2-11 ECC MTA9ASF2G72AZ-3G2B1ZI
$299.99

Pair Samsung 32GB (2x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-21300 DDR4-2666V REG ECC Server Memory Ram
$109.95

G. SKILL 32GB UDIMM 2400 MHz PC4-19200 DDR4 SDRAM Memory (F42400C15Q32GRK)
$150.00

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00