Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Partitions don't mount!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA, USA
    Posts
    9

    Partitions don't mount!

    I have some partitioned drives, and they will not mount. At least one has files on it, or should. I would like to retreive these. Any suggestions? I need to look at "su returned with an error" threads a bit more as well, but it is late here (or is it early?)

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Partitions don't mount!

    Quote Originally Posted by Briana83
    .... but it is late here (or is it early?)
    Suggestions:

    • 1) Get some sleep. File recovery is not the kind of thing that you want to do tired. The files will wait.

      2) Tell people more about your problem. What type of partitions are these that you have your files on? What error message or other feedback do you get when the partition will not mount?

      3) If this is the all too common problem of Windows destroying it's own partitions and not being able to access the files because the partition information in the MBR is mucked up, you very well might be able to fix it with gpart or testcd (man pages are available on each). But I'm certainly not advising you to rush to do this without a better understanding of what you have. And obviously there are some kinds of disk damage that no software is going to recover from.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA, USA
    Posts
    9
    Well, the tech guy said he copied the files over, and I have tried asking him. He must have been far too busy that day to help me, or just didn't know what to do. I will have to look at gpart and testcd. By the way, here is the error I am getting on both of the partitions I wish to access.

    The irritating thing is that before I got this "fixed" Knoppix opened the files when it was on CD. So if he messed it up, since he saw what had happened (not like I couldn't have just written to CD or DVD when I had that disk in in since I have 2 optical drives!) I will be VERY angry.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    Still very little to go on...


    try this:

    open a terminal window (get used to people saying this :P )... and issue the following:
    Code:
    su
    <you will be asked for root's password. Enter it>
    
    mount /dev/hdb1

    Does the partition mount? Does it give an error? if so issue this:
    Code:
    dmesg

    The last few lines should relate to your mount error. Please post here




    My feeling is that your problem is related to the ' su returned an error ' issue



    Take care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA, USA
    Posts
    9
    I finally found what I needed. It worked. I can now retrieve my old files! Thanks! (Sorry about the excess smilage, but I am VERY VERY happy!)

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA, USA
    Posts
    9
    Okay I need to do this if I reboot, too. But it still worked.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    '....Okay I need to do this if I reboot...."

    Yes.... filesystems do not stay mounted for good... they must be mounted when needed. This is a security measure to keep something for accessing the filesystem thay shouldnt be there.


    Are you running a INstalled system?.... if so this thread will help you resolve the "su returned an error" issue. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26361.

    Take care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA, USA
    Posts
    9
    trying to copy the files to a DVD-R got me an error though: "Accessing files is not supported with the protocol about." What? Seriously, I know Knoppix is from Germany but huh?



Similar Threads

  1. cannot mount partitions??
    By redhawk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-20-2006, 12:35 PM
  2. Cannot mount windows partitions
    By milkjam in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 05:00 AM
  3. partitions don't mount
    By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 02:03 PM
  4. Can't mount any HDD partitions
    By sb73542 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 01:32 AM
  5. Mount all partitions
    By henrique in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 12:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99