-
Junior Member
registered user
Data recovery from HDD
Hi,
Background
My brother brought me an old Samsung WU 33205A HDD of 3.5 GB that suddenly stopped to work on his PC (WXP PRO).
The scope here is to save the data on that HDD.
I have installed it on my system with the intent to help him solving the problem.
My OS is WXP PRO.
My system has recognized that a new hw was about to be installed and found the proper driver.
If I browse explorer I cannot see the hdd, therefore I went into Device Manager and saw that the "device is working properly".
Then I clicked Disk Management and I read:
Disk 1
Unknown
3,01 GB
Not Initialized
3,01 GB Unallocated
It looks like the HDD needs to be formatted.
Knoppix & myself
I am totally new to Knoppix and I was suggested to try it as a possibility to recover the data from the Samsung HDD.
I succeeded to burn a Live DVD and booted my PC.
I can see the HDD on the desktop, as well as the other HDDs on my system, in fact, if I click on them, they open neatly, but when I get to the Samsung HDD, I get a message that I cannot quote with the exact words but more or less is: the drive cannot be mounted because the file system is unknown.
The only thing I can say from my investigations is that the file system is FAT32.
Now, I am stuck and have absolutely no clou how to proceed, but I am confident someone here will help 
Thank you!
Alex
Similar Threads
-
By andyp in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-11-2008, 04:36 PM
-
By mustjustbe in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-10-2007, 03:32 AM
-
By Miburou in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-13-2005, 04:14 AM
-
By cohyster in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-03-2005, 06:01 PM
-
By Rggoalie3 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6
$210.00

Lot of 10 Samsung 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SODIMM M471A2G43AB2-CWE 160GB
$1319.99

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

DDR4 LOT (56 TOTAL MODULES) - 8GB 1RX8 PC4-2400T
$1600.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

Grade A SK Hynix Cisco 64GB PC4-2400T DDR4 4DRx4 RDIMM RAM HMAA8GL7MMR4N-UH LOT
$299.99

LOT OF 2 Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-EE1-11 P/N: MTA18ASF2G72AZ-2G6D1ZG
$199.95

LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ
$469.95