Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Host Name Resolution Not Working Knoppix 5.1.1

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    2

    Host Name Resolution Not Working Knoppix 5.1.1

    I'm new to Knoppix and am a Linux novice although I've played with various distros off and on for over 10 years.

    I am running Knoppix 5.1.1 Live on a Gateway MX6931 laptop. My network card is recognized and apparently DHCP works as well. The problem is that I can ping IP addresses on my network and on the Internet just fine. However, I can't get name resolution. This occurs both on my network at the office and on my network at home. The networks are functioning fine for all other OSs and distros. Other OSs and distros work fine on this laptop.

    When I look at all the items I know to look at, all is well.

    # ifconfig eth1:
    eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:E0:B8:AE:14:F5
    inet addr:10.87.160.117 Bcast:10.87.163.255 Mask:255.255.252.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::2e0:b8ff:feae:14f5/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:23008 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:88 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:2022661 (1.9 MiB) TX bytes:7487 (7.3 KiB)
    Interrupt:17

    # cat resolv.conf
    search rei.sisco.stewart.net
    nameserver 10.87.163.231
    nameserver 10.253.1.233

    # route
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    10.87.160.0 * 255.255.252.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
    default 10.87.163.254 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth1

    # pump -i eth1 --status
    Device eth1
    IP: 10.87.160.117
    Netmask: 255.255.252.0
    Broadcast: 10.87.163.255
    Network: 10.87.160.0
    Boot server 10.87.163.221
    Next server 0.0.0.0
    Gateway: 10.87.163.254
    Gateways: 10.87.163.254
    Domain: rei.sisco.stewart.net
    Nameservers: 10.87.163.231 10.253.1.233
    Renewal time: Wed May 2 20:52:19 2007
    Expiration time: Wed May 2 22:22:19 2007

    Can someone tell me what's wrong with any of this? It all looks fine to me. It's as if there is some service that isn't running that uses the values in the resolv.conf.

    The symptoms are the same on both networks. All values in various configurations appear fine. If I was using Windows, I'd do something like "ipconfig /renew". I assumed "pump -R" was similar but that doesn't work. I get an "Operation failed" message.

    When I ping "www.google.com" or other known hosts, I get the "Unknown host or host unreachable"-type message.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282

    Re: Host Name Resolution Not Working Knoppix 5.1.1

    Quote Originally Posted by solutiondev
    I'm new to Knoppix and am a Linux novice although I've played with various distros off and on for over 10 years.

    When I look at all the items I know to look at, all is well.


    # cat resolv.conf
    search rei.sisco.stewart.net
    nameserver 10.87.163.231
    nameserver 10.253.1.233

    # route
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    10.87.160.0 * 255.255.252.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
    default 10.87.163.254 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth1

    # pump -i eth1 --status
    Device eth1
    IP: 10.87.160.117
    Netmask: 255.255.252.0
    Broadcast: 10.87.163.255
    Network: 10.87.160.0

    Can someone tell me what's wrong with any of this? It all looks fine to me. It's as if there is some service that isn't running that uses the values in the resolv.conf.

    The symptoms are the same on both networks. All values in various configurations appear fine. If I was using Windows, I'd do something like "ipconfig /renew". I assumed "pump -R" was similar but that doesn't work. I get an "Operation failed" message.

    When I ping "www.google.com" or other known hosts, I get the "Unknown host or host unreachable"-type message.

    Any help would be appreciated.


    I think your problem is that your network card is on 10.87.160.x and your router and gateway on 10.87.163.x

    Can you ping your default gateway?
    ping 10.87.163.254 ?

    I am assuming that this address is also the address of your router. If yes, then you have you tried including your ISP's
    DNS servers in your routers config? If you do this then you can simplify the linux /etc/resolv.conf with one line

    nameserver 10.87.163.254

    That is the setup I use on my home network, I only have 2 computers and a Dreambox, I use static addressing and a Class C network.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    2

    Re: Host Name Resolution Not Working Knoppix 5.1.1

    Quote Originally Posted by hal8000
    [
    I think your problem is that your network card is on 10.87.160.x and your router and gateway on 10.87.163.x

    Can you ping your default gateway?
    ping 10.87.163.254 ?

    I am assuming that this address is also the address of your router. If yes, then you have you tried including your ISP's
    DNS servers in your routers config? If you do this then you can simplify the linux /etc/resolv.conf with one line

    nameserver 10.87.163.254

    That is the setup I use on my home network, I only have 2 computers and a Dreambox, I use static addressing and a Class C network.
    I can ping the default gateway. This particular example I'm using is what happens on my corporate network. When I check a Windows configuration, it matches what I see in Knoppix. I have no idea what the network topology is like here beyond my desktop.

    When I'm at home on my personal network, my default gateway shows up as 192.168.0.1 and my nameservers are the DNS server provided by my ISP. I get the same name resolution issue.

    I have gotten this to work but I can't see any differences in the configuration settings. I ran "netcardconfig" and turned off DHCP and then ran it again and enabled DHCP. After that, I saved my configuration to a USB drive and it seems to work. Unfortunately, I can't seem to repeat the action.

Similar Threads

  1. Remastered Knoppix as host for Qemu Guests
    By alexjohnp in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 08:15 PM
  2. 1280x800 screen resolution: Not working correctly
    By creativename in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-23-2007, 02:28 AM
  3. network error (unknown host) on Knoppix 4.0.2
    By jazevedo in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2006, 03:06 PM
  4. dial-up ics with knoppix as host/winxp as client
    By cyKeMatica in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 04:08 AM
  5. hda: host protected area after Knoppix-3.3 ????
    By alex52 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 04:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book picture

Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book

$37.49



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99