-
Administrator
Site Admin-
testdisk problem
I have a disk that I can't recover with gpart (still gives a bad superblock error) and I thought I would give testdisk a try. But when I try to run testdisk I get:
testdisk: error while loading shared libaries: libntfs.so.9 cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
I get the same error on 5.1.0 and 4.0.2. I'm running as root (opened a terminal and then typed su). Can anyone give any insight on what is going wrong here?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi Harry,
Try this from a root shell : apt-get update && apt-get -s -t unstable install testdisk
and try running it again[/code]
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Thanks for the tip Rusty. I will try it, but I learned something else: While the CD versions of 4.0.2 and 5,1.0 (and I expect very likely 5.0.1 and even 5.1.1) have this problem, the DVD version of 4.0.2 booted and ran testdisk just fine for me. I'n not sure why an unworking version would be on multiple CD releases, but apparently that's the case.
Unfortunately, while I ran testdisk, it still didn't fix my bad superblock problem. So I'm going to focus on other approaches that might save something from these disks before I try the apt-get update approach, but it will be something interesting to do.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi Harry,
Just to note that a new version of testdisk was recently released in unstable, FWIW.
Regards.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Thanks. It is worth checking if that version fixes my bad superblock.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Junior Member
registered user
solution see - Testdisk Won't run - Cannot find libntfs.so.9
I have the same error-messge with Knoppix 5.1 and testdisk. (this problem is nomore relevant for me - the notebook has broken)
I have tested the solution above and testdisk starts very well.
Unfortunatly I don't know how I can put a link the the other thread here.
When anybody know this - please correct it.
Thread: "Testdisk Won't run - Cannot find libntfs.so.9" dd. Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:28
Forum: General Support
Hope that helps somebody.
PS:
To Mr. Kuhman, to who I has asked in a personal message (at a time, when I had not found the obove solution) whether the new knoppix release had solved the problem.
For your information I asked in a privat message, because the thread is 2 month old and I supposed that you maybe would not read this thread periodical.
Thanks very much for your answer.
I asked because I have a older notbook where the Koppix Release 5.1 don't run - 3.6 does. This means that it would give further more problems to get it to run. To test which last Knoppix Release would run - to find out where the difference is - to make a own Knoppix CD with the actual release of testdisk - and that maybe for nothing. That is the reason why I asked for your experience.
Regards.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: solution see - Testdisk Won't run - Cannot find libntfs.

Originally Posted by
the_idealist100
I have the same error-messge with Knoppix 5.1 and testdisk.
I have tested the solution above and testdisk starts very well.
Unfortunatly I don't know how I can put a link the the other thread here.
When anybody know this - please correct it.
Thread: "Testdisk Won't run - Cannot find libntfs.so.9" dd. Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:28
Forum: General Support
Hope that helps somebody.
PS:
To Mr. Kuhman, to who I has asked in a personal message (at a time, when I had not found the obove solution) whether the new knoppix release had solved the problem.
For your information I asked in a privat message, because the thread is 2 month old and I supposed that you maybe would not read this thread periodical.
Thanks very much for your answer.
I asked because I have a older notbook where the Koppix Release 5.1 don't run - 3.6 does. This means that it would give further more problems to get it to run. To test which last Knoppix Release would run - to find out where the difference is - to make a own Knoppix CD with the actual release of testdisk - and that maybe for nothing. That is the reason why I asked for your experience.
Regards.
I have no insight other than to try a different bootable CD to use TESTDISK.
The "GPARTED" livecd has TESTDISK and the ULTIMATE BOOT CD also has it.
-
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26507
testdisk: error while loading shared libraries: libntfs.so.9: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
there is (Knoppix 5.1.1) no libntfs.so.9 (in /usr/lib/) but:
libntfs.so -> libntfs.so.10.0.0
libntfs.so.10 -> libntfs.so.10.0.0
what do you think about this:
rootwindow
Code:
cd /usr/lib
ln -s libntfs.so.10.0.0 libntfs.so.9
now testdisk will run
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks for everybody's help.
I can't test more ideas - because my notebook has broken and
I am now working with Knoppix 5.3.1 on a newer PC, which has no problems with this
newer Knoppix-Version.
Similar Threads
-
By rodney222 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 8
Last Post: 10-13-2008, 11:49 PM
-
By kater in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-12-2007, 04:44 PM
-
By LordKuat in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-20-2007, 08:30 AM
-
By asandler48309 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-06-2007, 03:47 AM
-
By scorpionutv in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$119.00

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE
$59.99

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99

Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter
$59.99

Juniper Networks EX2300 (EX2300-48P) 48 Ports Ethernet Switch
$249.99

Juniper EX2300-C-12P POE+ Switch 12 x 1GbE & 2 SFP+ 10G uplinks
$124.99

Juniper EX3400-48T-AFI Ethernet Network Switch 48x1GbE 4x10GbE SFP+ 2x40GbE QSFP
$139.00

Juniper Networks EX3300-24T EX Series 24-Port Gigabit 4-Port SFP+ Switch
$79.99

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management
$249.97