Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Unable to touch files on a Hard Drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1

    Unable to touch files on a Hard Drive

    I recently got rid of a Linksys NSL device which I had a HD attached too for network storage, primarily because when I switched to Windows Vista I couldn't connect to the HD as a share anymore, and didn't want to bother with fixing the problem since I was the only one using it (figured I'd just be easier to connect it directly to my machine). The problem is Windows sees the drive as having a healthy partition with no default drive letter and it won't let me assign one. So I decided to break out Knoppix (which is what I normally use for non-gaming activities) to see if I could pull the data off onto my thumbdrive and then format the HD. Problem is I can see the data on the drive, can even copy the folder structure over, but whenever I try and touch a file I get an error that just says "Could not read (filename)". If I try to use the 'cp' command through a terminal window the command reports that it is "omitting" the directories and files on the HD.

    I've adjusted the permissions and ownership to ensure I have full access to the files and ensured the mount point was read/write, but I still keep getting the same problem. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    what filesystem are you writing to?
    you are trying to copy to a FAT, ReiserFS or EXT2, EXT3 filesystem right, if not, there might be an issue as to the ability of Linux to write to the partition.
    my personal experience is that if you see the files you shoule be able to copy them, BUT, i hae had damaged disks act werid, listing the files but not being able to acess them and once it was a weird FAT filesystem that had too many tables to work withut the makers special drivers, it listed the filenames but it did not know how to acess them fully.
    there are other een werider things out there.
    have you tried to use the comand below
    Code:
    sudo cp -a /mount/point/disk* /new/dir/
    if yes, hmm, interesting,
    what does the command
    Code:
    mount
    say? (yes just mount)
    output from
    Code:
    df -h
    may be of help.

Similar Threads

  1. unable to mount device when trying to access hard drive.
    By kacey in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-14-2009, 12:15 AM
  2. unable to mount external hard drive
    By mpdst11 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-08-2008, 12:41 AM
  3. Problem making a boot USB jump drive. unable to cp files.
    By fatfingers in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 06:24 AM
  4. unable to mount second hard drive
    By band-aid in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-27-2006, 10:02 PM
  5. Unable to Mount Hard Drive Please Help
    By ajonline in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 01:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99