Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Anti-virus

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1

    Anti-virus

    Hi, I have a friend with a computer (windows XP) that is so infected that it's starting to get usless. So i wondered is it possible to scan Windows for virus/spyware with knoppix?

    I have used Ubuntu for about half a year but i am still kinda newbie when it comes to linux.

    Is knoppix the thing to use and how?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Please don't post the same post in multipple forums. The forums would become needlessly cluttered if such posts were allowed. Your duplicate post in another forum has been removed.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    You can install f-prot antivirus and use it to scan windows partitions, this is how I've done it recently:

    1. Start by opening a root shell (K-->Knoppix-->Root Shell)and typing : passwd, to set a root password.

    2. In Konqueror, navigate to this site
    http://www.f-prot.com/download/trial...ux-ws-deb.html and click on the "Download F-PROT Antivirus (GNU/Linux, Workstation, deb)" link, and choose "open with Kpackage" when prompted. When it finishes downloading click on the Install tab at the bottom of the Kpackage window. Use the password that you created in Step 1.

    3. Mount the drive you want to scan by right clicking on it's icon on the desktop and choosing mount.

    4. In your root shell , type man f-prot to read the fine manual .

    5. For example to scan drive hdb1, type: f-prot /mnt/hdb1

    HTH

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Edit

    5. For example to scan drive hdb1, type: f-prot /mnt/hdb1
    Should read:

    5. For example to scan drive hdb1, type: f-prot /media/hdb1

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1

    HEELLPP

    I'm not adept at all with this stuff. I've just got the latest verison of knoppix to rescue a messed up PC and got as far as installing f-prot but now using the root shell , I can't find the right command line to scan the disc. the hard disc is called "sda5" and it's the windows main partition of the HD I need to scan to removet the viruses on there.. can anyone help in layman's terms please.
    there seems to be no basic instructions with f-prot on a knoppix.. or I'm just not finding it.
    I got as far getting the manual up on the root shell but it dosnt explain what the basic command lines are..

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: HEELLPP

    Quote Originally Posted by pimpos20
    ...I can't find the right command line to scan the disc.... I need to scan to removet the viruses on there.. ..
    From considerable experience here I believe that if you do write to your hard disk partition (which I assume to be NTFS formatted) with Knoppix, that you will be very likely to cause further damage and therefor cause file loss. So I can't help you with any commands that would write to the disk, which would include removal of viruses. However, i can offer a suggestion and will provide more help in this area if needed: instead of the dangerous approach of writing to a NTFS partition with Knoppix, consider the safe approach to use Knoppix to transfer all of the files that you are concerned about to another system, and then reinstall Windows (the only safe way to do this, IMHO). There are many ways to transfer the files to another system. Assuming that you have a network available, I would suggest that you install a FTP server on a second computer. There are many free or trial versions of pay FTP servers available on the Internet for Windows or for Linux (depending on what you're second system is, although I would expect it is Windows). Then boot Knoppix on the system to be rescued, and use Konquror as a FTP client to transfer files to the FTP server. When you confirm that the transfer has been successful you can safely reinstall your currently corrupted system.

    While you could also use Microsoft file sharing under Knoppix, I suggest FTP because it will be much faster and is generally easier to set up and more reliable than Samba or other Microsoft file sharing techniques.

    By the way, HEELLPP is not an acceptable subject line around here. I wouldn't even have responded to it if it was a main subject line and I didn't know the topic. See answer #7 for further details.

Similar Threads

  1. Anti-Virus Firewall Protection
    By B9423 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 06:43 PM
  2. Anti-Virus programs (revisted)
    By Cuddles in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-25-2004, 12:20 AM
  3. anti virus software
    By styven in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 06:01 PM
  4. Firewall and Anti Virus Protection
    By jhobo4 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 04:10 AM
  5. Use Knoppix for Windows anti-virus?
    By Loper in forum Ideas
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-01-2003, 09:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99