I was configuring it with bootdrake, but when I boot up knoppix w/ lilo, I get Kernel Panic, no init found, try passing init= to kernel, or something like that.
What do I need to do, to boot knoppix?
I was configuring it with bootdrake, but when I boot up knoppix w/ lilo, I get Kernel Panic, no init found, try passing init= to kernel, or something like that.
What do I need to do, to boot knoppix?
So you're using mandrake ?.. you will need to edit /etc/lilo.conf manually.
The instructions for a HD based knoppix are in
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdBasedHowTo
If you have read the howto, and still have trouble, post your /etc/lilo.conf here.
Well, I got somewhere with that guide, I c+ped, the boot profile, and edited it a little bit. I made some progress, now I go into a "limted shell", that's not bash.
BTW, I used that guide to copy the files.
Code:boot=/dev/hda map=/boot/map vga=normal default="linux" keytable=/boot/us.klt prompt nowarn timeout=150 message=/boot/message menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw image=/boot/vmlinuz label="linux" root=/dev/hda2 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="quiet devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off" vga=788 read-only image=/boot/vmlinuz label="linux-nonfb" root=/dev/hda2 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off" read-only other=/dev/hda1 label="windows" table=/dev/hda other=/dev/hdb1 label="windows98" table=/dev/hdb map-drive=0x80 to=0x81 map-drive=0x81 to=0x80 other=/dev/fd0 label="floppy" unsafe image=/boot/vmlinuz label="failsafe" root=/dev/hda2 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off" read-only image=/boot/vmlinuz # The kernel append="lang=de ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=KNOPPIX/miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix" #add initrd path to miniroot.gz label="Knoppix"# label of your profil root=/dev/hda7 # partiton where lilo can found the directory /boot read-only initrd=/mnt/knoppix/boot/miniroot.gz
Ok, well that's progress. It means it has booted and found the miniroot. So becasue it says it's dropping you to a shell, does it also say "Can't find Knoppix Filesystem" ?
Where abouts is your KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX directory/file ?
Yeah, I think it said can't find filesystem, not sure.
It's /mnt/knoppix/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX.
You have an extra knoppix you just need the directory and the file .
er, thats from inside linux right?Originally Posted by reub2000
So is "/mnt/knoppix" a partition mount point? and in the ROOT of that partition is "/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX" with the last KNOPPIX being the ~600 Meg file? If so, then it should work.
Yep, /mnt/knoppix is the mount point, then the path to the file, is KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX.Originally Posted by eadz
So, if it should work, why does it not work?
Edit: Itried, getting rid of hda=scsi, since my hd is ide, but it did nothing.
Shouldn't the initrd line be initrd=/boot/miniroot.gz you have already specified root=/dev/hda7 so it will be looking for a /dev/hda7/mnt/knoppix/boot/miniroot.gz instead of /dev/hda7/boot/miniroot.gz.label="Knoppix"# label of your profile
root=/dev/hda7 # partiton where lilo can found the directory /boot
read-only
initrd=/mnt/knoppix/boot/miniroot.gz
^^Doesn't work.
[quote[[root@localhost reub2000]# lilo
Added linux *
Added linux-nonfb
Added windows
Added windows98
Added floppy
Added failsafe
Fatal: open /boot/miniroot.gz: No such file or directory[/quote]
Edit:
Should have read the entire screen. Turns out, the problem is, that it was using my mandrake kernel.

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00
Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$329.00
Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99
Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99