Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: anonymous ftp server setup?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    anonymous ftp server setup?

    I was thinking of setting up an old fashioned ftp server my students could login to anonymously. I, in turn, could login with a passwd to modify content so I can share files with my students. I have a ssh server setup via knoppix-installer. How do I convert that to an ftp server (not sftp)?

    TIA,
    AJG

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    BTW, the last time I remember setting up an ftp server was before KNOPPIX was even around. I think I used Slackware 3.6 around 1996? Anyway, the ftp server was up an running by default after the hdd install. All you had to do was place files in /home/ftp and anyone could asccess them via anonymous ftp! Is there anything similar I can do with a knoppix-installered PC?

    TIA,
    AJG

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    100
    apt-get install vsftpd

    very fast, very secure, easily configurable.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, thanx alot!

    Regards,
    AJG

Similar Threads

  1. howto setup anonymous ftp?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 02:28 PM
  2. anonymous ftp howto setup?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 11:38 PM
  3. Anonymous Proxy Setup
    By sakiZ in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 02:49 AM
  4. How do I setup ftp server
    By chain in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 07:10 AM
  5. How can I setup Terminal Server
    By DATA101 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 10:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$475.21



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$16.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$465.98



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1794.16



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$17.99



2026 NEW SGIN 15.6

2026 NEW SGIN 15.6" Laptop Win11 Intel i3 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Wi-Fi 6 RJ45 USB-C

$302.99



Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11

$364.42