Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix Live CD to WindowsXP Home Networking

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix Live CD to WindowsXP Home Networking

    Hi,

    I've done the usual search and found quite a few good threads
    already on this topic. BUT... each of those threads assumed,
    it seems to me, that knoppix was installed on the Hard Drive.

    If I misunderstand please correct me and teach me how to
    accomplish networking with knoppix and XP Home.

    I've been to a page that talks about using the samba server,
    but then it also talks about editing knoppix files.. which of course
    you can't do on a live version beccause the CD-R is well.. a CD-R

    So then my question.

    On a Live CD version of Knoppix, how do you network to a
    Windows XP Home computer. I should mention that one of the
    threads here says you have to alter the XP Registry to allow
    XP Home to see knoppix, but the page I read says it can't be done
    on XP Home..only XP Pro.

    I've got 40 Gigs of data that I need to transfer from a windows XP Pro
    machine that won't boot to windows, but will boot to Knoppix Live, to
    a Windows XP Home machine (laptop). Both are on the same LAN.
    Both can ping eachother. In Knoppix, I don't have LinNeighborhood,
    but I do have the Samba Network Browser. In this browser it sees
    the XP home machine. But I can't log in to it because it asks for a
    username and password. Which when entered do not work.

    I have enabled the guest account on the XP Home machine, added
    a reg hack to allow anonymous login i think???

    All I want to do is copy files in knoppix to the all users account >
    then to the documents folder in Xp Home. As it is a shared resource.

    But I'm having the hardest time.

    Any help for a knoppix n00b is greatly appreciated!!

    thanks

    -IBM

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2

    RESOLVED

    Well thanks I guess... o_0

    I got it sorted out.
    In all my trouble shooting and trying to learn knoppix
    it skipped my mind that knoppix's workgroup
    was different than my laptop's.

    I remembered seeing it in passing, i don't even know
    where I saw it to be honest. So I changed the
    laptop to the same workgroup and voila! Bellicimo!

    -IBM

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-01-2007, 02:01 AM
  2. connecting to XP home networking
    By plcanonica in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 12:45 PM
  3. Dual boot Knoppix and WindowsXP on 2 HDs
    By Kepaletswet in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-19-2004, 01:03 PM
  4. Unable to boot to WindowsXP after running Knoppix Live CD!
    By dwflo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 11:12 PM
  5. WindowsXP now won't boot
    By ScottB in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate Exos ST20000NM003C 20TB CMR 7200RPM SATA6Gb/s 3.5

Seagate Exos ST20000NM003C 20TB CMR 7200RPM SATA6Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive

$509.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99