Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: usb mass storage problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    grenoble - france
    Posts
    14

    usb mass storage problem

    I've a small problem between hdd version and live cd version on my multi card usb mass storage:
    with live cd when 2 cards are installed in my pty reader the initialisation is correct and I see my two cards (compactflash and smartmedia) as sda1 and sdb1.
    with hdd version I see only the first card sda1.
    who know this problem?

    hadrien001

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Have you checked in the /etc/fstab to make sure there is an entry for the second drive or manually mounted the second card (as root in a console mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1). of course the mount point /sdb1 has to exist already to check ls -l /mnt/.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    I know this problem, and I've fixed it.

    SHort answer. Multi card readers DON'T work by default in most distros, and not on the HDD install of knoppix.


    Long answer: It's a kernel option. You mass storage driver is a SCSI emulating driver, so you computer things it's a small SCSI harddrive. One of the options when you compile a kernel under the SCSI options section is "probe multiple LUN's on each SCSI device." THat option WAS used for the live kernel, but for some reason, NOT for the HDD kernel. WHat you will have to do is recompile your kernel with that option.

    The Bad News: Building kernel source for knoppix is a pain in the ass. It has two custom patches that are not used by any other distro, and the kernel source isn't available for download anywhere, so you'll need a standard 2.4.20 kernel from kernel.org and a lot of help from people more skilled than me.



    I know all this because the last distro I used was knoppix and I had the same problem, and I recently fixed it in my current distro (mandrake) by doing what I just told you. Good luck.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    grenoble - france
    Posts
    14
    Thank for your answer

    I've try to compil new kernel with the 2 patches -xfs and knoppix-patch to enlarge the command line and I've try to compil in the standard method (make dep,make depend,make bzImage etc..) or by debian method (make-kpkg --added-patches xfs --append-to-version "-own" --revision "0" buildpackage modules ) and in all cases i obtain a lot of f.. problems and specialy with the depend module.
    After 2 days I stop without any result (for the last 7 years I've compil a lot of kernel version and it's the first time that I can't ended...)

    But I've 2 questions:
    -when I start to boot I obtain after dependencies check some message look like "file are not ELF file" after the depmod command and if I suppress files in the directory /lib/modules/extra I hav'nt this messages but I must made this suppression before any boot?

    -all my usb peripherics are working well (scanner,hub,and my first memory card)but my directory /proc/bus/usb is empty and with the command " cat /proc/bus/usb/devices" say no file or directory do you know why and if it's possible to restore these proc file ?

    many thanks

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    I have to be honest, that's all a bit over my head. As for your errors, let me do what everyone ele refused to do for me, tell you how to compile a kernel in plain english. If it's in halfquotes, it's a command, enter it without the quotes.

    I'm going to assume you have your fully patched ready to compile kernel sources in /usr/src/linux-2.4.20 if that's not where your's are, just adjust accordingly. I'm also assuming that the symlink /usr/src/linux points to the old kernel headers and NOT your kernel source.


    from a terminal as root:

    'cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.20'
    'make oldconfig' this uses all the options from the original, and pormpts you about any new options.
    'make xconfig' this is the standard x window kernel configurater, change your proccessor type from i386 to what ever you have, then go to the scsi section and change "probe multiple LUN's on each device" to y, then save and quit.

    'make dep clean bzImage' this will clean up all the junk and build you main kernel and it can take a LONG time, you should probably go to lunch now.

    'make modules modules_install' this builds all the modular parts of your kernel and installs them for you. THis can take a REALY LONG TIME, you should go to bed.

    now we are going to copy all you new binaries where they go, be carefull of the spelling.

    'cp /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20'
    'cp /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.20'
    'cp /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/.config /boot/.config-2.4.20' (this one is op[tional, it basicaly is a convienient and logical place to store a backup of your .config, I highly reccomend you do it as there is no realn not to.)

    you also, will need an initrd file to help start the kernel, make one with the followin comand:

    'mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20.img 2.4.20'


    your kernel is now installed, but you now need to modify your bootloader to boot it.

    assuming you use lilo, open up /etc/lilo.conf with your favorite text editer and find the stanza that refers to vmlinuz, make a second stanza right below it, but add -2.4.20 to the lines for vmlinz and initrd.

    So, if your original said :
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label=linux
    root=/dev/hda2
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi"
    read-only

    you want your new stanza to say:
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20
    label=linux-2.4.20
    root=/dev/hda2
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20.img
    append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi"
    read-only

    then run one llast command:

    '/sbin/lilo'


    Now your new kernel is installed, and you haven't done anything to mess up your existing kernel, so if it doesn't work, you can still boot with the original kernel.

    Once you are satisfied that the new kernel works, you can change all your simlinks and remove the old kernel, but make sure you are running first.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    grenoble - france
    Posts
    14
    Many thanks I'm going to do this compilation procedure.
    But I've found the modification to obtain than all mass storage cards will be found after boot it's only a small add in lilo.conf:
    create a new line or add to your append line
    append = "max_scsi_luns=X"
    where X is the maximum available cards in the reader,lilo -v,reboot and it's all folk !!!

    francis

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    grenoble - france
    Posts
    14
    Sorry to disturb

    I've made a fine compilation after some problem with the patch version of xfs but I've some error with:
    mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20.img 2.4.20

    whet is the real fonction of this and why I obtain a syntax error,I've try this command under the linux tree root and outside of it ?
    thanks

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    grenoble - france
    Posts
    14
    Don't warry about my last question,I've find the exact syntax for this:

    'mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd-2.4.20.img /lib/modules/2.4.20'

    and now for me my new kernel is working fine.

    many thanks

    francis

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    glad to hear it. The reason for the slight syntax goof is that I'm running a diferent distro, so what I listed is all I needed. I will remember that knoppix need's more specification to make a init.img

    And thanks a million for the apend code to enable it. i can't tell you how much trouvble I'd have saved myself if I'd known that.

Similar Threads

  1. USB storage devices
    By srowe in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-13-2004, 02:05 AM
  2. usb-storage
    By tommy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 07:37 AM
  3. storage and more what you thing about this.......
    By cowmamba in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 05:45 AM
  4. problems with accessing USB mass storage
    By KnoppIXuser in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 07:41 AM
  5. data storage
    By Sucker in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2003, 09:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard

$90.99



ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard

$101.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99