-
USB generic serial drivers
I have some manual (for Gentoo) which checks if the necessary drivers are compiled in the kernel:
zgrep "CONFIG_USB_ohci_hcd" /proc/config.gz
and
zgrep "CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC" /proc/config.gz
and I got errors.
I have Knoppix 5.0.1 installed on my laptop and try to connect the internet but the prerequisite is that I have OHCI HCD support and USB Serial drivers (must be compiled as a module!!!). How to check it ? And how to make it if configuration isn't as suppose to be ? Please help.
-
Seems that there's no UMTS on Knoppix
Or my english is so bad so knowone understand my problem
-
Senior Member
registered user
I just booted KNOPPIX 5.01 and found the following compiled kernel module files:
/lib/modules/2.6.17/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ohci-hcd.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.17/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko
So you should be able to load them by opening a root terminal shell and type:
modprobe ohci-hcd
modprobe usbserial
Good Luck
-
then somethiing else is a problem and...
I followed the next manual:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Voda...PCMCIA_Adapter
and after:
lsusb -v
I didn't get the Option in a IDManufacturer, anywhere in a list.
So, right now. I'm in a "blind hole" (is it the right choice of words?
)
-
Senior Member
registered user
Maybe your USB device name is different from the one used in the WIKI example.
Look for anything that resembles a USB adapter.
The important thing is to write down the vendor and product ID numbers for the device.
If everything scrolls off the screen too fast, try typing:
lsusb -v | less
-
well, it writes Optiion and it looks like on this picture:
http://portal.wikinerds.org/vodafone...to-suse-gentoo
Although I'm a newbie with Linux, I learned how to remaster Knoppix with the main target to create a live Knoppix CD which can use Vodafone UMTS/GPRS PCMCIA card without problems. And Know I'm stuck with finding Option in usb list.
-
Senior Member
registered user
First, type
lsmod
to see if the correct modules are loaded. At a minimum, you need the OHCI driver module to be loaded up and appear on the list.
Assuming that knoppix has not changed much, you can also view your usb information graphically by typing
usbview
Maybe you can get the information this way. But if you cannot even see the USB host controller, you definitely won't be able to see the serial device.
-
in usbview
In usbview nothing changed after I put the card into a slot. it looks like:
OHCI HOST controller
-----USB-PS/c optical mouse
OHCI HOST controller
EHCI HOST controller
Obviously some module missing and it isn't HOST controller
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: in usbview

Originally Posted by
SlavoniaJavaTeam
In usbview nothing changed after I put the card into a slot. it looks like:
OHCI HOST controller
-----USB-PS/c optical mouse
OHCI HOST controller
EHCI HOST controller
Obviously some module missing and it isn't HOST controller
If you are inserting a card into a slot, it means you are not using USB, but are using PCMCIA/CARDBUS.
So if your card contains a tiny USB host controller, you should see a new OHCI host controller appear when you insert the card.
Otherwise it means that you have been following the wrong set of instructions for your device.
If this is true, you need to find the linux install instructions for a PCMCIA/CARDBUS device and not a USB device.
Similar Threads
-
By SlavoniaJavaTeam in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-13-2007, 07:48 AM
-
By maxkekaxke in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-15-2005, 03:44 PM
-
By basicman in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-05-2004, 05:55 PM
-
By Satyag in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-25-2003, 05:46 PM
-
By Satyag in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-25-2003, 12:15 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99