Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Samsung R40

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2

    Samsung R40

    Hi – I have become keen on Knoppix since running it very successfully on my old Dell Inspiron 8000, however, since this only has 256K RAM (max 512K) and is still running Win ME I’ve just gone out and bought a Samsung R40. Sadly I discover now it is not on the Knoppix list of laptops.

    It seems to boot ok and pick up the essentials but after a minute or two it slows down and then freezes altogether – as if it has run out of memory.

    I’ve tried Kubuntu and that seems to work better and does not freeze. I’ve now installed Kubuntu on my hard drive and so far it works fine – wireless and Ethernet. But I would much prefer Knoppix as my regular reserve system.

    The fact that it works well with Kubuntu leads me to think it should not take much to make it work with Knoppix. Am I right or completely wrong?

    Thanks for reading - Baldlygo

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    You may have chipsets or hardware that is not well supported in the current version of Knoppix. You can wait for a newer version to be released and see if that works or you can do as you have already done, find another distro that is more compatible with your hardware. I have had several issues with some of the newer Intel compatible chipsets using Knoppix and several other Linux distros. I'm hoping that they will be supported beter in upcoming versions.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the reply - Seems I will have to keep my old Dell to use Knoppix for the time being.

    I have since also found problems with kubuntu on the Samsung - no sound at all! Much prefer knoppix anyway so I'll have to keep waiting.

Similar Threads

  1. Samsung X30 - Wide XGA Display
    By andreas2000 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-23-2006, 06:56 AM
  2. Knoppix will not boot with Samsung LCD and Radeon 7000
    By iland in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-20-2004, 08:45 AM
  3. boot problem Knoppix 3.4 on Samsung P30
    By noisefloor in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2004, 02:02 PM
  4. Samsung 1204H (120GB) and Kernel 2.6: no partitions
    By bernd_b in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 12:20 PM
  5. USB Driver for Samsung Cell Phone to laptop
    By seth niren in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2003, 06:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$150.00



Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read picture

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read

$199.99



Vintage Macintosh Mircrosoft Multiplan Excel Basics Disks picture

Vintage Macintosh Mircrosoft Multiplan Excel Basics Disks

$55.00



Vintage Macintosh Compuserve Version 1 Membership Kit PC Magazine Mac New Sealed picture

Vintage Macintosh Compuserve Version 1 Membership Kit PC Magazine Mac New Sealed

$999.99



Vintage 1983-87 Macintosh System Tools 3.5 Floppy Disk Version 2.0.1 690-6023-B picture

Vintage 1983-87 Macintosh System Tools 3.5 Floppy Disk Version 2.0.1 690-6023-B

$38.00



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$99.00



Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage picture

Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage

$249.00



Vintage Apple Design Keyboard Model M2980 Macintosh 1994 Untested picture

Vintage Apple Design Keyboard Model M2980 Macintosh 1994 Untested

$28.49