Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Blank screen after booting (xmodule=vesa does not work!)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3

    Blank screen after booting (xmodule=vesa does not work!)

    I have recently burned the boot cd, it goes fine through the hardware detection and all but after I say to boot linux it just goes black. The usual fix for this (xmodule=vesa) does not work for me, I get the same problem. I can post more info if you need it. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Hardware specs might be nice. The one I'm concerned about is what scan rates does your monitor support, and I'll suggest that you try forcing the display scan rates to parameters that you are sure are within spec. But when that doesn't work we'll need to know the rest of the hardware specs, so you might as well give them now.

    Also, did you confirm the md5 checksum of the iso before burning? (It's not hard to imagine a bad ISO might cause the screen to go black while booting).
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, 2.21 GHz
    1GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
    GigaByte GA-M57SLI-S4 Motherboard
    LG Flatron L1952T Monitor (not sure of scan rate, will try and find out)

    I did not comfirm the md5 checksum but I still have the ISO files so I can check now. I'll go do that and report that.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3
    According to winMd5Sum they are different. That would probably be my problem. I will redownload and try again. Thanks for your help.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by sydrto
    According to winMd5Sum they are different. That would probably be my problem. I will redownload and try again. Thanks for your help.
    Redownloading is not the best idea. You might be able to fix it with BitTorrent without dowmloading everything again. And BitTorrent is much more reliable than the mirrors, even if you do redownload everything at least with BitTorent it will be right this time (and much faster if you have you system configured for BitTorrent properly). See the downloading faq for details.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Can't use xmodule=vesa on HD install
    By ultrauber in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 02:10 AM
  2. xmodule=vesa on HDD install
    By organicpuzzle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-21-2007, 11:04 AM
  3. Booting from CD... Screen goes blank for some time with L
    By RosH in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-16-2006, 02:06 PM
  4. When booting blank screen
    By JoeNEEDSHELP in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2004, 03:42 AM
  5. Blank Screen after booting from Knoppix CD
    By frastitute in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 06:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5 128GB Samsung KEY BOARD 128GB picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5 128GB Samsung KEY BOARD 128GB

$150.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung Solid State Drive Model 2.5 in Internal SSD Gray/Black picture

Samsung Solid State Drive Model 2.5 in Internal SSD Gray/Black

$149.00



Samsung NP700Z5C 15.6

Samsung NP700Z5C 15.6" Laptop Intel Core i7-3635QM 8GB Ram NO HD/OS (FL)

$24.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working

$30.00



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00