-
Installed Knoppix does not boot due to change in USB port
I need help as I am new to Linux. I have installed the Knoppix Live CD on a USB drive by first booting it in VMWare.
1. Now whenever I try to boot it on other desktop, it fails to find root (it looks like somewhere it has hard registered the root drive as /dev/sda1) as the USB drive is now sdb instead of sda. So I have to again reboot, find the drive name (sda or sdb or sdc) and then pass it as kernel parameter. Can anyone please suggest, how can I have knoppix automatically find the root and boot without issues, I like the way xubuntu identifies drives with UUID, so even if the USB port changes, new partition arrives, the root is recognized correctly.
2. After passing the root=/dev/sdxx, booting does fail for root drive, but further it fails while executing swapon /dev/sda1 during boot (now it's sdb1), and then I am dropped to the bash shell.
It would be appreciable is someone can help me out in this. Thanks.
Similar Threads
-
By jpavlicek in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-29-2005, 02:36 PM
-
By fechin in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-13-2005, 02:26 AM
-
By kn2user in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-06-2004, 06:43 PM
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
-
By 5y573m f41lur3 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-20-2004, 12:04 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250
$25.99