Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Can any other live cds read a Knoppix encrypted home image?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    17

    Can any other live cds read a Knoppix encrypted home image?

    For me, Knoppix peaked at 3.7. My customized version did everything I wanted it to, but sadly it won't
    boot on my MacBook, whereas the 5* versions do. However Wine seems borken beyond my feeble
    efforts to repair it on the 5* series. I'd like to leave Knoppix for a more wine friendly distro, but none seem
    to have the kernel module necessary to decrypt my encrypted Knoppix home partition. Any suggestions
    would be most welcome.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92
    1. Boot Knoppix.
    2. tar / compress your entire home to someplace other than your home. Depending on what exactly you have in your home, you could use myconfig.
    3. Boot the other distro.
    4. Uncompress the file from 2 into your home.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    A digression to pick up on your subsidiary remarks
    I also found Knoppix 3.7 to be the best that 'just worked', at least for its own era of equipment/software. I got some extended life from it with Debian backports, but have now had to move on because of the major changes from Sarge era libraries to Etch|Lenny|Sid .
    I got Wine working fine in Knoppix 5.1.1 by purging the supplied (winehq) packages and pointing sources.list at the Debian Etch repositories instead (and I've no reason to suppose that Lenny & Sid wouldn't be OK as well - just haven't tried them yet) .
    BTW the latest Sidux looks very promising ... just about to try it

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyH
    A digression to pick up on your subsidiary remarks
    I also found Knoppix 3.7 to be the best that 'just worked', at least for its own era of equipment/software. I got some extended life from it with Debian backports, but have now had to move on because of the major changes from Sarge era libraries to Etch|Lenny|Sid .
    I got Wine working fine in Knoppix 5.1.1 by purging the supplied (winehq) packages and pointing sources.list at the Debian Etch repositories instead (and I've no reason to suppose that Lenny & Sid wouldn't be OK as well - just haven't tried them yet) .
    BTW the latest Sidux looks very promising ... just about to try it
    I assume you did this in a remaster. Could you give a brief description of how you purged the winehq packages. I tried to muddle through that when I remastered 5.1.1, but was not successful.
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'backports', but Google should assist me.
    I tried Sidux, but sadly the kernel module needed to decrypt seemed absent. I got the 'ioctl etc.' message when I attempted to mount my home drive.
    Thanks for your reply.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by SiKing
    1. Boot Knoppix.
    2. tar / compress your entire home to someplace other than your home. Depending on what exactly you have in your home, you could use myconfig.
    3. Boot the other distro.
    4. Uncompress the file from 2 into your home.
    Though not a direct answer to my query, still a very interesting reply and I thank you for it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by tbobz
    ... I assume you did this in a remaster. Could you give a brief description of how you purged the winehq packages. I tried to muddle through that when I remastered 5.1.1, but was not successful. ...
    Code:
     dpkg --purge  libwine wine winetools wine-dev
    did it for me on a 'vanilla' Knoppix 5.1.1 CD (both HD-installed and for a re-master). If you've added anything else dependent on any of those, you would have to purge that (first) as well; then you could do a clean Debian wine installation.

    Sorry I can't offer anything about the encryption issue, not having used it.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyH
    Quote Originally Posted by tbobz
    ... I assume you did this in a remaster. Could you give a brief description of how you purged the winehq packages. I tried to muddle through that when I remastered 5.1.1, but was not successful. ...
    Code:
     dpkg --purge  libwine wine winetools wine-dev
    did it for me on a 'vanilla' Knoppix 5.1.1 CD (both HD-installed and for a re-master). If you've added anything else dependent on any of those, you would have to purge that (first) as well; then you could do a clean Debian wine installation.

    Sorry I can't offer anything about the encryption issue, not having used it.
    Thank you! I would prefer to stay with Knoppix, so if I can get Wine working, then all will be well.
    Again, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2009, 02:51 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2007, 07:37 AM
  3. Read Write Permissions for HDs from Live CD
    By Curious Dave in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 04:25 AM
  4. Bug: no fsck on encrypted persistent home directory
    By tjacobs in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 11:32 AM
  5. Live Cd with Knoppix in encrypted and compresed fs
    By A.x.A3x in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-18-2003, 08:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00