1. Boot Knoppix.
2. tar / compress your entire home to someplace other than your home. Depending on what exactly you have in your home, you could use myconfig.
3. Boot the other distro.
4. Uncompress the file from 2 into your home.
For me, Knoppix peaked at 3.7. My customized version did everything I wanted it to, but sadly it won't
boot on my MacBook, whereas the 5* versions do. However Wine seems borken beyond my feeble
efforts to repair it on the 5* series. I'd like to leave Knoppix for a more wine friendly distro, but none seem
to have the kernel module necessary to decrypt my encrypted Knoppix home partition. Any suggestions
would be most welcome.
1. Boot Knoppix.
2. tar / compress your entire home to someplace other than your home. Depending on what exactly you have in your home, you could use myconfig.
3. Boot the other distro.
4. Uncompress the file from 2 into your home.
A digression to pick up on your subsidiary remarks
I also found Knoppix 3.7 to be the best that 'just worked', at least for its own era of equipment/software. I got some extended life from it with Debian backports, but have now had to move on because of the major changes from Sarge era libraries to Etch|Lenny|Sid .
I got Wine working fine in Knoppix 5.1.1 by purging the supplied (winehq) packages and pointing sources.list at the Debian Etch repositories instead (and I've no reason to suppose that Lenny & Sid wouldn't be OK as well - just haven't tried them yet).
BTW the latest Sidux looks very promising ... just about to try it![]()
I assume you did this in a remaster. Could you give a brief description of how you purged the winehq packages. I tried to muddle through that when I remastered 5.1.1, but was not successful.Originally Posted by JohnnyH
I'm not sure what you mean by 'backports', but Google should assist me.
I tried Sidux, but sadly the kernel module needed to decrypt seemed absent. I got the 'ioctl etc.' message when I attempted to mount my home drive.
Thanks for your reply.
Though not a direct answer to my query, still a very interesting reply and I thank you for it.Originally Posted by SiKing
Originally Posted by tbobz
did it for me on a 'vanilla' Knoppix 5.1.1 CD (both HD-installed and for a re-master). If you've added anything else dependent on any of those, you would have to purge that (first) as well; then you could do a clean Debian wine installation.Code:dpkg --purge libwine wine winetools wine-dev
Sorry I can't offer anything about the encryption issue, not having used it.
Thank you! I would prefer to stay with Knoppix, so if I can get Wine working, then all will be well.Originally Posted by JohnnyH
Again, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55
MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98
Lof ot 2 SK Hynix 16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 2Rx8 SODIMM RAM HMA82GS6CJR8N-VK
$334.99
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS
$1450.00
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50
Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$289.80