-
Junior Member
registered user
black screen of Death booting knoppix while X loads
after the hardware detection phase, during the X startup, I keep getting the dredded "black screen of death"
my hardware:
Athlon 64 3200+ (2.0 ghz) processor
Asus N8V-VM motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS PCI-E video card
I have tried booting with cheatcodes
"knoppix xserver=XFree86"
"knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA"
"knoppix xmodule=nv"
"knoppix screen=1024x768"
"knoppix fb1024x768"
nothing I try seems to be working. Still black screen of death. mouse don't even come up, but yet is detected during hw detection. besides, my other 3 computers on the same KVM switch, all run the same knoppix CD just fine..
I'm thinking its probably the PCI-E video card, but how would I get around this?
the hw detection detects an AGP bridge, which isn't even right, the motherboard doesn't even have an AGP slot to begin with. its got a PCI-E x1 slot, and PCI-E x16 slot. The x1 slot isn't being used, the x16 is being used by the video card.
any suggestions as to what I can try?
am using the Knoppix DVD version 5.1.1
I tried the CD version, same problem. tried a version 3 and version 4 series knoppix CD too, same problem.
I know its not a bad DVD image, because the same DVD works fine on all my other computers, even those connected to the same KVM switch, so if its not hardware related, I don't know what it could be.
thanks
Similar Threads
-
By MasterNES in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-14-2006, 08:58 PM
-
By Josh83 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-03-2005, 05:19 PM
-
By Veclord in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-13-2004, 01:13 AM
-
By gradnite in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-05-2004, 07:30 PM
-
By Cykke in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-23-2004, 07:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4
$128.96

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU
$197.76

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES
$21.08

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08