Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: have to run pppoeconf every time

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1

    have to run pppoeconf every time

    Hello, my PC is a common one, with 8139 netcard, and without any special hardware.
    I have only one PC, and connect with internet through adsl. directly, without router or hub.

    I installed Knoppix5.1.1 as Debian in my hardware, and I found this is a good distro except one bore.
    I have to configure my pppoe by typing "pppoeconf" in konsole every time after booting my knoppix, or internet cannot be connected. I noticed that one line of boot scrolling is "Failed to bring up eth0"

    On my other partitions, I installed Simplymepis and Dreamlinux. With this systems, I needn't configure pppoe every time. Internet conncetion is always ready after booting.

    what is the matter? What can i do with it?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Knoppix is well known to break after a hard disk install, and problems with networking may be the most common symptom. I have been seeing this for over for years now. You didn't say, but if it worked fine from CD then you have already demonstrated this. I urge you to try a distro like Debian that does not have this and other problems, but offers all of the software and features that Knoppix does.

    While Knoppix has pppoe software to run your dsl connection without a router, I urge you to get one and operate safely (I'm assuming your dsl modem does not have one built in, you imply it does not). Even with only one computer you are much better off behind a NAT router, particularly if you ever run Windows.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Verizon dsl set up pppoeconf
    By plener in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2006, 01:43 PM
  2. Tried pppoeconf but didn't work
    By jacksonon in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 07:41 AM
  3. TV time !
    By mihai in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-25-2003, 04:28 PM
  4. pppoeconf at boot time
    By oscar in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 12:55 AM
  5. Knoppix (Debian) pppoeconf and cable modem
    By guest in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-30-2002, 06:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver picture

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver

$79.89