Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: persistent home

  1. #1

    persistent home

    Hi all,

    Am new here (seems almost every one is) I have used a few different Distros over the last 18 months, but I am no expert.

    I am currently building a robot using an x86 motherboard, there is no CD drive or HD drive

    I have downloaded the Pyrobot customized knoppix (based on 5.1.1), and installed it to a 1GB USB stick.

    The USB stick boots fine, so I tried to set up the persistent /home. I accepted all the defaults except the encryption.

    Now when I boot up, I get the dialog box asking if I want to load the persistent home, settings etc. all of the options seem to work except home.

    If I select home and push OK, the system continues to boot, x starts, the background is set, and then nothing. the KDE splash screen (the one with the loading flashing icons) is never displayed.

    I have had the same results across 3 systems and a vmware virtual machine, booting from both USB and CD, and using both USB and HDD for storage location of home. (I could not use CD or save home to HDD in robot, so I only did this on the other 2 systems)

    any suggestions?

  2. #2
    after more testing...

    I downloaded the standard knoppix 5.1.1 and used that to create the persistent home, this works fine with the knoppix disk. I then tried booting from the Pyro disk, which also worked fine.

    Then I uninstaled some software, upon next reboot same problem again.

Similar Threads

  1. Persistent Home
    By staran in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2007, 05:41 PM
  2. What can you do with persistent home
    By beausimon in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-23-2006, 03:40 PM
  3. Persistent home isn't dynamic
    By lsr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 01:04 PM
  4. Persistent home directory
    By Geof in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 03:55 PM
  5. Persistent Home Resizing
    By xeerex in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2003, 08:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.75