-
chroot problem
I have followed the steps in http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto to the letter as well as many other remastering how to documents. The common thread in all is that when I attempt to chroot to the source directory if get the
chroot: /bin/bash: No such file or directory error.
I have done all the suggested steps in other posts and still have the same problem.
Any suggestions where I'm going wrong.
Nick
-
Chroot Problem
You have probably uses a FAT32 file system, you need to be using a Linux file system of some kind or the permissions will all be nonsense
Jim
-
I'll give that a try. I thought I had the right type, but I'll try again. Thanks for the pointer.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: chroot problem

Originally Posted by
frustrated user
chroot: /bin/bash: No such file or directory error.
What Linux distribution are you using? If you can't chroot from your installed Linux, try to chroot from Knoppix CD.
-tapsa-
-
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that to see if it is the installed version or my operations.
Nick
-
Senior Member
registered user
Is the location, that is where you want to chroot, another partition ?
If so, make sure that it is mounted correctly from the command line by superuser
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /<mountpoint>/<partition>
-
hi
just curious have u solved ur problem. bcoz i'd the same problem long back n now ve now successfully completed re-mastering.
regards
-
edit: disregard this message, I posted in the wrong thread... :duh:
thanks guys. I'm off to bed for now but I'll give it another shot tomorrow. I've been at this project quite a bit this past week and needed a day or so to start fresh. I'll let you know how it goes!
-
I've the same problem that you have... any way to resolve??
I'm using the last version of knoppix live cd, in a laptop, and chrooting to a /mnt/sda1 and says tbat
Code:
'/bin/bash' : no such file or directory
I'm running with the livecd, and i've mounted the sda1 with -rw options, and it's a ext3 partition.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
joke
I've the same problem that you have... any way to resolve??
I'm using the last version of knoppix live cd, in a laptop, and chrooting to a /mnt/sda1 and says tbat
Code:
'/bin/bash' : no such file or directory
I'm running with the livecd, and i've mounted the sda1 with -rw options, and it's a ext3 partition.
This is really very strange. I just tested chroot and got amazing results: I can chroot to some partitions and some not! I don't find any logical answer why I can't chroot to some partitions. This don't seem to have anything to do with bash version or fstab options. Here's an old snapshot of Knoppix 3.3 and chroot http://linux.ilmainen.net/knoppix/kuvat/chroot.png how it should work.
The stange thing is also that using Fabian Franz's knoppix-remaster script chroot's happily without problems to those partition where I got that same bash error message as you do. This is a mystery to me.
-tapsa-
Similar Threads
-
By davidx7773 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-13-2006, 06:12 PM
-
By bertheylen in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-05-2006, 04:17 AM
-
By Gandalf_Grey_ in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:53 AM
-
By estranged in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-13-2003, 10:54 PM
-
By sminotti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.98