Never mind, got it working, turns out there were some issues with QEMU and large linux kernels. Will have an howto soon for my dual boot config
- LS
Greetings folks,
I am trying to make a bootable USB installation, which can also be loaded by Qemu from windows. (Helps in situations like my windows PC which dosnt boot a liveusb).
Progress:
I modified linuxrc script to mount /dev/hda as /cdrom. Qemu loads KNOPPIX/knoppix as /dev/hda. With the new minirt.gz I am tried booting from USB, works as expected.
For the Qemu case, I am getting some problems.
my batch file contains this:
qemu\qemu.exe -L qemu/ -no-kqemu -m 512 -kernel linux -initrd minirt.gz -hda KNOPPIX/knoppix -append "qemu root=/dev/hda ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us toram knoppix_name=knoppix knoppix_dir=knoppix BOOT_IMAGE=expert nomce apm=power-off vga=791"
The errors I am getting are this:
RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.
VFS: Mounted root (iso9660 filesystem) readonly
...
/etc/rcS.d/S00knoppix-autoconfig: line 100: /proc/sys/kernel/printk: No such file or directory
and bunch of errors.
I think something went wrong while loading the Ramdisk, also I dont see any of the prints from minirt.gz
Isnt root=/dev/hda sufficient for ?
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
LS
Never mind, got it working, turns out there were some issues with QEMU and large linux kernels. Will have an howto soon for my dual boot config
- LS
I am very interested in a usb flash drive that will be both bootable on metal as well and qemu bootable. I believe Qemu-puppy is doing this here:
http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/
To be even more demanding, I have found it possible to run the same image in and Mac OSX Q (emu) application.
Let's add one more request-- an encrypted root filesystem, with /boot in the clear. Feraga.com has a project for this
Any interest?
DSL (Damnsmalllinux) has a way to do the "real" bootable USB + qemu bootable USB. I believe it is called the "5-way install".Originally Posted by fellow
Once it is installed on the USB key, you can boot in multiple ways:
1) Directly from the USB device.
2) For computers with no USB boot support, boots from a mini-CD or full-CD disk and then starts DSL from the USB key.
3) For computers with no USB or CD boot support, boots from a floppy disk and then starts DSL from the USB key.
4) Boots inside QEMU from a computer running Windows host operating system.
5) Boots inside QEMU from a computer running a Linux host operating system (Red Hat, Ubuntu, etc).
and someone in the user forums also added a MAC version of QEMU so you could boot it from a computer running a Macintosh operating system.

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89
LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04
2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99
Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99
US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89
2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower
$16.99
Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER
$39.99
Cordless Vacuum Cleaner for 20V Battery, 7-in-1 Lightweight Stick Vacu...
$149.15
Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard
$17.99
Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99