I saw this problem when I was working on the latest version of ParallelKnoppix. You need to edit linuxrc turning off Mac conversion. That is, do "nano -N linuxrc".
Hi !
This is the first time I write to this forum.
I have been working with remastering of 5.0.1 version, everything was alright (remove & add packages), until I decided to make a little change in the Welcome message, replacing "Welcome to Knopppix ...", with "Welcome to Avionix, based on Knoppix ...".
I modified the linuxrc file, inside minirt.gz (uncompress, mount, edit, umount and compress again) and build a new ISO and burn a CD.
After this, system doesn't boot and display an error:
Kernel Panic: not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs unknown-block(1,3)
If I restore the original minirt.gz, everything works well again.
I have been "googling" and applying lot of "recipes" and advices, but I can not solve this problem.
I appreciate your help.
There are the followed steps in details:
mastercopy is the master directory needed for remastering, /working is an example working directory.
cp /mastercopy/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz /working/
cd /working
gunzip minirt.gz
mkdir mnt
mount -o loop minirt ./mnt
Now, I can edit (with nano or vi text editor) and save ./mnt/linuxrc file
umount ./mnt
gzip -9 minirt
cp minirt.gz /mastercopy/boot/isolinux/
that's all
Thanks in advance,
Sebastian.
I saw this problem when I was working on the latest version of ParallelKnoppix. You need to edit linuxrc turning off Mac conversion. That is, do "nano -N linuxrc".
Does it matter if we use vi instead of nano -N to edit the file ?Originally Posted by mcreel
I did read about minirt.gz not being too large. Though using gzip -9 should be sufficient.
- LS
Hi mcreel !
Thanks a lot for your suggestion.
Fortunately it solves the problem, now I have a Knoppix based system with customized startup messages.![]()
Sebastian.

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID
$24.43
Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49
Vintage Promise EIDEMAX Enhanced IDE Disk Controller ISA Non-RAID Card Boxed
$34.99