I saw this problem when I was working on the latest version of ParallelKnoppix. You need to edit linuxrc turning off Mac conversion. That is, do "nano -N linuxrc".
Hi !
This is the first time I write to this forum.
I have been working with remastering of 5.0.1 version, everything was alright (remove & add packages), until I decided to make a little change in the Welcome message, replacing "Welcome to Knopppix ...", with "Welcome to Avionix, based on Knoppix ...".
I modified the linuxrc file, inside minirt.gz (uncompress, mount, edit, umount and compress again) and build a new ISO and burn a CD.
After this, system doesn't boot and display an error:
Kernel Panic: not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs unknown-block(1,3)
If I restore the original minirt.gz, everything works well again.
I have been "googling" and applying lot of "recipes" and advices, but I can not solve this problem.
I appreciate your help.
There are the followed steps in details:
mastercopy is the master directory needed for remastering, /working is an example working directory.
cp /mastercopy/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz /working/
cd /working
gunzip minirt.gz
mkdir mnt
mount -o loop minirt ./mnt
Now, I can edit (with nano or vi text editor) and save ./mnt/linuxrc file
umount ./mnt
gzip -9 minirt
cp minirt.gz /mastercopy/boot/isolinux/
that's all
Thanks in advance,
Sebastian.
I saw this problem when I was working on the latest version of ParallelKnoppix. You need to edit linuxrc turning off Mac conversion. That is, do "nano -N linuxrc".
Does it matter if we use vi instead of nano -N to edit the file ?Originally Posted by mcreel
I did read about minirt.gz not being too large. Though using gzip -9 should be sufficient.
- LS
Hi mcreel !
Thanks a lot for your suggestion.
Fortunately it solves the problem, now I have a Knoppix based system with customized startup messages.![]()
Sebastian.

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00
AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00
Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Processor Six Core 3.4GHz CPU
$39.99
Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00
AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99