Quote Originally Posted by HatGuy
* Downloads from mirrors work just as well as those from BitTorrent (check the md5 sum!).
My experience is very different. Downloading (to a Windows box, which is what most new Knoppix users do) frequently imposses a nasty NL->CR/LF linefeed bug (downloading the file as if it was text rather than binary). This isn't true for all mirrors, but about 1/2 that I used exhibited this bug (with no settings changes on the Windows side). There have been other reports of other dowloading corruption too, but I only investigated in detail my own and this is what I saw. And BT downloading now tends to be much faster than mirror downloading as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HatGuy
* CD-RW disks work just as well as CD-R.
Absolutely correct. Any post suggesting using a CD-R rather than a CD-RW is FUD. (I might avoid those expensive high speed CD-RW that must be written at high speed, but a normal 4x CR-RW is great and is my prefered media for Knoppix that I use myself.

Quote Originally Posted by HatGuy
* Machine age doesn't matter, if it can burn a bootable 700MB disk.
* Machine age doesn't matter, if it can read a bootable disk.
Age may matter if the system is very low spec. An old 32 meg P90 might well be able to burn the CD, and if you got a BIOS upgrade or use software like SBM it may be able to boot a CD, but it still isn't suitable for Knoppix. And age can certainly matter in burning; the older a drive gets and the more marginal it's optics get due to dirt and oil accumulation, the less suitable it may be for either burning or booting Knoppix.