Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Wireless - can't get IP

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2

    Wireless - can't get IP

    Having trouble with the wireless connections in Knoppix. Please bear with my convoluted descriptions of the details, as I am pretty new to knoppix and linux in general and not particularly technically inclined.

    I've found the appropriate windows drivers for my wireless card and installed them using ndiswrapper and it has worked beautifully, everything seems to work great... my wireless card is available to knoppix and I am able to scan for and detect wireless networks with no problems at all. The problem occurs when I try to connect to the networks. I've sifted through every post in this forum relating to wireless issues and tried all manner of different methods to connect. I'm able to configure the information for the networks with no issue, but I am unable to obtain an IP address through the dhcp client, which fails on every attempt. If I utilize "ifconfig wlan0 up", I am able to get kwlan to even indicate that I've connected to the network, but I can transfer no data and view no web pages. Further... when I "pump -i wlan0" or utilize the network card config utility, this connection will be broken. I can't ping anywhere or do anything beyond my box. In addition, these are networks that I am able to connect to with no problems through XP and OS X.

    Unfortunately, I am unable to provide any information about the routers because I am currently forced to use the internet by searching for unsecured wireless networks and buying food that I don't want at cafes that offer free wifi because I am poor. Most can be assumed to have no MAC filtering and would utilize dhcp, as they are set up to be free to patrons.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2
    oh, I suppose I should also mention that I'm using knoppix 5.1.1.

    thanks in advance

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204
    Check to see if your steps is the same as mine on the Network FAQ. See is there anything missing on your side.

    Good Luck

    Rgds,
    Chip

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 11:20 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2005, 12:09 PM
  3. No Wireless Extensions/No wireless card found?
    By sparticus in forum Laptops
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:55 AM
  4. No wireless extensions with Zonet USB wireless w/knoppix 3.4
    By dave52355 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 09:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD picture

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD

$249.00



DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS picture

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS

$99.99



HP ZBook Firefly 14

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC

$166.49



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



HP EliteBook 850 G6 15.6

HP EliteBook 850 G6 15.6" Core i5-8265U 1.60GHz 8GB RAM AMD Lexa GPU PWR Adapter

$120.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$79.99



Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11 picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11

$89.99



DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND

$179.99