Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Another booting issue... Buffer I/O read error

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1

    Another booting issue... Buffer I/O read error

    I just dowloaded a Knoppix live CD, and booted it successfully on VMware, as an ISO file from a virtual drive.

    Then i burnt it on a CD (following the FAQ), and I came to boot an old P3 500Mhz ...not more than 128 Mb ram with it.
    Well, I got so far as the desktop background, and then nothing:

    however, on ttl1
    There was a long list of the following errors:

    Buffer I/O read error on device cloop0, logical block 843287
    cloop: Read error at pos 620873442 in file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX 102072 bytes lost.
    cloop: zlib decpmpression error -3 uncompressing block 13176 .....

    and the list contiues in this nature

    Am i right in assuming that the CD did not burn properly? or could it be something else?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Another booting issue... Buffer I/O read error

    Quote Originally Posted by Andu3019
    Am i right in assuming that the CD did not burn properly? or could it be something else?
    From what you describe it could be a bad burn. It also could be an optical drive that has become marginal due to dust and oil in the optics. And I would also try booting with the nodma cheat code (there is only a small chance that will help but it seems worth trying).
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Odd issue with ISO booting
    By Freakazoid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2007, 12:32 AM
  2. Buffer I/O error on device sro ???
    By frenziedskier in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-03-2005, 07:16 PM
  3. Booting Issue
    By Tyreses in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 10:12 PM
  4. "Buffer I/O Error on device cloop0" ...
    By jcdecode in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2005, 10:01 AM
  5. buffer I/O error while running knoppix cd
    By mshanmuga in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-19-2004, 06:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple Macintosh PowerBook 165 M4440 with Charger - Turns On picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh PowerBook 165 M4440 with Charger - Turns On

$85.00



WINDOWS Microsoft

WINDOWS Microsoft "Vintage Style" Computer Keyboard/ #5181

$27.97



Dow Jones Market Analyzer Vintage Software - Macintosh - Factory Sealed picture

Dow Jones Market Analyzer Vintage Software - Macintosh - Factory Sealed

$37.99



Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E picture

Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E

$139.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



ISA Video Card, Tseng Labs ET4000AX, 1MB (8931 REV B) Vintage, Working picture

ISA Video Card, Tseng Labs ET4000AX, 1MB (8931 REV B) Vintage, Working

$74.99



HP LightScribe CD-R 100 Pack Blank Discs 52X 700MB 80 Min Vintage Media Unused picture

HP LightScribe CD-R 100 Pack Blank Discs 52X 700MB 80 Min Vintage Media Unused

$99.99



Vintage Apple iBook Clamshell Graphite 466MHz 60GB HD 128 Ram OS 9 & 10 picture

Vintage Apple iBook Clamshell Graphite 466MHz 60GB HD 128 Ram OS 9 & 10

$350.00



Vintage AT&T 6312 WGS COMPUTER 386 POWERS ON & Complete picture

Vintage AT&T 6312 WGS COMPUTER 386 POWERS ON & Complete

$249.95



Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 Full Retail Version COMPLETE 3.5

Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 Full Retail Version COMPLETE 3.5" Floppy Disks Box

$100.00