Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Attempting to save files from HD, but gpart not reading HD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3

    Attempting to save files from HD, but gpart not reading HD

    Hello, and thank you for the time in helping me before hand. I have been searching around the forum, trying to figure out my problems, and I have been unable to find an answer. Sorry for any rogue K's in the post, defective keyboard here.

    While I was on my computer earlier today, it suddenly rebooted. The reboot would not get past the Win XP loadikng screen with the moving bar. So, I loaded Knoppix, to try and save the important data from the now suspected problematic drive. At the least I figure I have to reinstall Win XP.

    So, I opened Knoppix, mounted the hd partition named hda1, and opened it up. No files or folders were available for me to copy and get off. So, I figure I need to use testdisk and/or gpart. Here is what I get from those two

    i type gpart hda
    ***k Fatal error: open (hda) : No such file or directory

    i type gpart hdak1
    same error


    i type testdisk
    testdis: error while loading shared libraries: libntfs.so.9: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

    gpart /dev/hda
    Fatal error : open(/dev/hda): Permission denied.


    I am running a Toshiba satellite 1415-s173 notebook

    when i type dmesg i get a variety of info..
    kkhere is some info that looks important to me at the end of it
    ide:kkkkkfailed opcode was : unknonw
    end request:i/o error, dev hda, sector 3566k5055
    bufferk i/o error on device hda1, logical block 4458124
    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
    hda:dma_intr: error=0x40 {UncorrectableError }, kLBAsect=35665079k, sector=35665063

    does that same message for block kkkkkkk5063 5071 5055 and 5079

    I am Very new to Linux, so any detailed help would be appreciated

    Thanks
    Trey

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3
    any suggestions?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Australian outback
    Posts
    4
    Hello bunkeroo26,
    I tried to run gpart and when I tried with the same commands you used I got the same error. When I tried 'sudo gpart /dev/hda' it scanned my hard first hard disk and gave me the output, so gpart seems to work when we use 'sudo' in front of the command.

    I didn't have any luck at first with TestDisk either, even with 'sudo', I got exactly the same error as you, so you aren't the only one.
    Then I read a fix for it by Friedrich involving making a symlink in the /usr/lib directory in this thread, http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...light=testdisk and tried it but that didn't work for me in my old Knoppix CD. That did work in my 5.1.1DVD though. Try that, it should fix it for you especially if you have the latest Knoppix.

    Regards, Herman [/url]

Similar Threads

  1. How do I save my settings and files?
    By Hoso001 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2006, 06:58 AM
  2. How to save my files into the harddisk ?
    By freelysj in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2005, 02:34 PM
  3. Download/Save files on hd
    By robbiw in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-20-2004, 07:17 PM
  4. 3.6: Installer hangs/can't find files/errors reading CD
    By muzicman82 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 04:57 AM
  5. Need to save files in knoppix without my HDD or FDD
    By christal in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 09:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Sandisk 1TB Portable SSD, read speeds up to 1000MB/s. {100% New} picture

Sandisk 1TB Portable SSD, read speeds up to 1000MB/s. {100% New}

$100.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$349.48



Timetec MS10 1TB SSD NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 3D NAND SSD 35TTFP6PCIE-1TB picture

Timetec MS10 1TB SSD NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 3D NAND SSD 35TTFP6PCIE-1TB

$89.99