Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Brand new to Linux/knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4

    Brand new to Linux/knoppix

    OK right now I am downloading the most recent version of the Knoppix iso.

    I plan on running it from a cd, before trying to partition a drive.
    I have Windows XP.
    I want to know if the iso will burn directly to a cd that will automatically boot up my system, if it is in the drawer and boot the system.
    OR do I have to enter the set up screen each time and set it to boot from the drive?
    Do I have to add any files to the cd/iso disc to do this?

    I am sorry I don't know much about this, I just started looking into it today.
    I wanted to do this about 8 years ago, but people told me it was stupid to get into linux.

    Thanks for supporting a linux newbie.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3
    Knoppix is self booting, so just download the EN.iso make sure you get the en because some are de - deutch and other languages. Just download the ISO burn it to a cd, and its self booting. Just reboot and set the bios to boot from CD first and it will run completely from the CD, hope this helps. You should still have access to HD and stuff while you are booted from the CD.

    Have fun, and enjoy

    Trey

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Brand new to Linux/knoppix

    Quote Originally Posted by danjr
    I have Windows XP.
    I want to know if the iso will burn directly to a cd that will automatically boot up my system, if it is in the drawer and boot the system.
    The above information is incorrect. See the downloading faq. XP by itself, without 3rd party software, will not burn an ISO properly, that is, it will not burn it in a form that boot. You'll likely just end up with the iso file on a CD, which is not what you want. The downloading faq gives you the information that you need.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4
    I managed to burn the ISO with Nero.
    It booted up fine without having to go to the set up screen. Just had to hit enter.

    The load time seemed quite long.
    Also my DVD - drives don't seem to register.

    Is there some way I can have a save file that will enable faster startup?

    At this point I just want to try play with linux before I jump into it too far and too fast.

    Thanks for the pointers guys!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4
    Sorry about not using search, I have no clue about the proper terminologies used here, so I have no idea what to look for!

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by danjr
    The load time seemed quite long.
    Hard to know what this means without any real data. See this thread for a discussion of someone who was taking over 5 minutes to boot. I spoted that and pointed out the issue of the importance of doing a low speed burn. After they burnt properly the CD booted much faster. Better to spend a little more time burning once that to wait out slow or even failed boots every time that you boot.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4
    Well I guess I was expecting the system to boot in no time.
    I will have to launch it again and see how long it takes.

    I'll play around with it some more and try learn as much as I can before I come back.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104
    Because the OS is being booted from optical discs, it will take a longer time to boot and applications will start up slower than if KNOPPIX was installed on the hard drive or even if you have a "poorman" install on the hard drive.

    On many computers, adding the words "dma" to the boot line, ie type:

    knoppix dma

    will speed up the CD/DVD drive access.

    Also, if your PC has an Intel SATA hard drive controller (many newer Dell PCs, for example) you may experience a VERY LONG (5 minutes with the computer just sitting there and no progress appears on the screen) delay with KNOPPIX 5.1.x version. This is especially true if you have no SATA drives connected to your controller.

    The Linux kernel version used in 5.1.x has a bug in the SATA (no drive found) timeout routine that makes it a VERY long boot.

    If this sounds like your problem, the solution is to either go back to KNOPPIX version 5.0.1 or to wait for the next 5.2 version to be published. This bug has been fixed in the newer versions of the Linux kernel.

  9. #9
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by cbagger01
    .....On many computers, adding the words "dma" to the boot line, ie type:

    knoppix dma

    will speed up the CD/DVD drive access.
    dma is either on or off by default. Klaus has changed this several times in recent releases. I think but an not certain that it is once again on by default in 5.1.x. If that's correct then nodma may help some older systems that can't us dma to boot the CD, but the dma opption has no extra effect.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Brand New
    By llwyd in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 05:19 PM
  2. What brand of PC is best for linux?
    By kn2user in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-20-2004, 06:43 PM
  3. Microsoft Brand Network Card (figures :)
    By SCribbl3r in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 02:00 AM
  4. Brand new... got a command prompt... now what?
    By Virulent in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-24-2004, 05:53 AM
  5. My brand NEW 3.2!
    By Mutant in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 08:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$349.48



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC picture

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC

$115.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99