I don't know about Knoppix 5.2, but for 5.1.1 addto yourCode:deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
/etc/apt/sources.list
and invoke (with root privilege)Code:apt-get install liblame0 lame
Hi,
Knoppix 4.0 comes with Grip, which lists many MP3-codecs (among them lame) but the only codec that really seems to be preinstalled can only produce ogg-files. Also, I've read that lame has not been preinstalled due to copyright problems. Anyway: does the latest Knoppix version come with lame? If not, can you tell me how to install it on Knoppix?
keenPenguin
I don't know about Knoppix 5.2, but for 5.1.1 addto yourCode:deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
/etc/apt/sources.list
and invoke (with root privilege)Code:apt-get install liblame0 lame
Hi Johnny,
What doesOriginally Posted by JohnnyH
mean? As a command line in the terminal, it didn't work. And how do I add it to that list file? I went to http://www.debian-multimedia.org/mirrors.html, but did not find the corresponding line, as "etch" was not to be found there.Code:deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
keenPenguin
I infer from the context of your questions that you are actually running Knoppix 5.1.1 (?), in which case the following will be available to you:-
1. Kmenu -> System -> More Applications -> File Manager - Super User Mode
2. Navigate in file manager to /etc/apt
3. Click on the sources.list file to open it with Kwrite
4. Add to sources.list file the statementBTW "etch" is an alias (or vice-versa) for what is now "stable" Debian. (I prefer to use named designations as it avoids ambiguity with older system sources.list files where "stable" used to be "sarge" - which is now "oldstable"Code:deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main. )
BTW for these codec files you might be able to use lenny(=testing) or sid(=unstable) with Knoppix 5.1.1 libraries, but I haven't tried mixing them so no guarantees.
5. Save the amended /etc/apt/sources.list file.
6. From a root-privileged console invoke(I forgot to mention this first timeCode:apt-get update)
thenand it should install for youCode:apt-get install liblame0 lame.
Hi again JohnnyH,
the steps you described worked perfectly on 5.1.1. But after executing them, I was shocked to find that Grip is missing. I tried all menues that made sense to find it, and I tried "grip" and "Grip" in the terminal, but Knoppix remained silent.
Where is Grip? Or is there another ripping tool for MP3s?
keenPenguin
Your question specifically asked about installing lame but not about grip; grip is available in the normal Debian repository. BTW You can find whether this is the case for any package by going to
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
and entering the package name in the appropriate search field. N.B. Sometimes you may know only the command name that you are looking for, which is not always the same as the package name; for this use the "Search the contents of packages" field.
should get it for you.Code:apt-get install grip
Hi JohnnyH,
Well, first of all, thank you for your patience! But I feel I will have to put some further strain on it![]()
As already mentioned, the installation of lame worked fine. But after callingI get an error text. I made a screenshot here:Code:apt-get install grip
http://www.abload.de/img/knoppixscreenzuv.png
The screenshot is in German, but I hoped that you might happen to be familiar with this error. Anyway, calling grip does not work. If the screenshot does not really shed light on the problem, I might try to translate it, or download an English Knoppix 5.1.1. and repeat the process.
keenPenguin
The error messages indicate significant incompatibility of your 5.1.1 libraries with what is *now* "testing" or "unstable" in the repositories.
Invoking apt-get -f install (as it suggests) *might* work OK but it would be a pretty brutal upgrade step and might leave you with problems![]()
I suggest that you (backing it up first) replace your /etc/apt/sources.list file with the following which I use with 5.1.1 (I've left in the 'cruft' which you can remove if you like).
[Edited line deb ... download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/debian sid main 14:07 hrs BST]
If you are in the us you can replace uk by us to get your nearest mirror, or whatever is your appropriate country code.Code:# deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ etch main deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ etch main non-free contrib #deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ etch main non-free contrib deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free #deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free # VLC Player and libdvdcss #deb http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/debian sarge main deb http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/debian sid main # w32codecs #deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org lenny main deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main # cinelerra deb http://www.kiberpipa.org/~minmax/cinelerra/builds/sid/ ./
Then invoke successivelyand good luckCode:apt-get update apt-get install grip![]()
Hi JohnnyH,
sorry for getting on your nerves, but apt-get just wouldn't work. I replaced my sources.list by yours, but calling
always fails. Here's a screen shot:Code:apt-get update
http://www.abload.de/img/aptgetscreen21l.png
keenPenguin
1] You don't say that you invokedafterCode:apt-get install grip- what is the result ?Code:apt-get update
2](i) The screen shot http://www.abload.de/img/aptgetscreen21l.png is not showing a 'show-stopper' failure of apt-get update ; it is telling you that the 'unofficial' codec packages are not verified by your system.
2](ii) You can still download & install them by accepting them unverified when prompted by apt-get install <whatever-codec>
2](iii) The verification tool is installed as follows ; from a root-privileged console invoke successively :-
apt-get install debian-multimedia-keyring
gpg --keyserver hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys 1F41B907
gpg --armor --export 1F41B907 | apt-key add -
(I recommend that you copy & paste each complete line into the console to avoid transcription errors).
*Don't* give up if you think you see an error reportedcomplete the instructions, then try
again and report as necessary.Code:apt-get update

1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM
$320.00
Micron 8GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA ECC RDIMM RAM (MTA9ASF1G72PZ-3G2E2
$30.00
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$288.19
Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99
Nanya NT32GA72D4NFX3K-JR 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA K25 DDR4 RDIMM RAM Server Memory
$199.99
SK Hynix 32GB(1x32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2666V-R DDR4 ECC Memory RDIMM HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$200.00
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98
Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55