-
Grip lists lame, but it seems to be missing: how to install?
Hi,
Knoppix 4.0 comes with Grip, which lists many MP3-codecs (among them lame) but the only codec that really seems to be preinstalled can only produce ogg-files. Also, I've read that lame has not been preinstalled due to copyright problems. Anyway: does the latest Knoppix version come with lame? If not, can you tell me how to install it on Knoppix?
keenPenguin
-
Senior Member
registered user
I don't know about Knoppix 5.2, but for 5.1.1 add to your
/etc/apt/sources.list
and invoke (with root privilege)
Code:
apt-get install liblame0 lame
-
Hi Johnny,

Originally Posted by
JohnnyH
I don't know about Knoppix 5.2, but for 5.1.1 add
to your
/etc/apt/sources.list
and invoke (with root privilege)
Code:
apt-get install liblame0 lame
What does mean? As a command line in the terminal, it didn't work. And how do I add it to that list file? I went to http://www.debian-multimedia.org/mirrors.html, but did not find the corresponding line, as "etch" was not to be found there.
keenPenguin
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Hi again JohnnyH,
the steps you described worked perfectly on 5.1.1. But after executing them, I was shocked to find that Grip is missing. I tried all menues that made sense to find it, and I tried "grip" and "Grip" in the terminal, but Knoppix remained silent.
Where is Grip? Or is there another ripping tool for MP3s?
keenPenguin
-
Senior Member
registered user
Your question specifically asked about installing lame but not about grip
; grip is available in the normal Debian repository. BTW You can find whether this is the case for any package by going to
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
and entering the package name in the appropriate search field. N.B. Sometimes you may know only the command name that you are looking for, which is not always the same as the package name; for this use the "Search the contents of packages" field.
Code:
apt-get install grip
should get it for you.
-
Hi JohnnyH,
Well, first of all, thank you for your patience! But I feel I will have to put some further strain on it
As already mentioned, the installation of lame worked fine. But after calling
Code:
apt-get install grip
I get an error text. I made a screenshot here:
http://www.abload.de/img/knoppixscreenzuv.png
The screenshot is in German, but I hoped that you might happen to be familiar with this error. Anyway, calling grip does not work. If the screenshot does not really shed light on the problem, I might try to translate it, or download an English Knoppix 5.1.1. and repeat the process.
keenPenguin
-
Senior Member
registered user
The error messages indicate significant incompatibility of your 5.1.1 libraries with what is *now* "testing" or "unstable" in the repositories.
Invoking apt-get -f install (as it suggests) *might* work OK but it would be a pretty brutal upgrade step and might leave you with problems
I suggest that you (backing it up first) replace your /etc/apt/sources.list file with the following which I use with 5.1.1 (I've left in the 'cruft' which you can remove if you like).
[Edited line deb ... download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/debian sid main 14:07 hrs BST]
If you are in the us you can replace uk by us to get your nearest mirror, or whatever is your appropriate country code.
Then invoke successively
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install grip
and good luck
-
Hi JohnnyH,
sorry for getting on your nerves, but apt-get just wouldn't work. I replaced my sources.list by yours, but calling
always fails. Here's a screen shot:
http://www.abload.de/img/aptgetscreen21l.png
keenPenguin
-
Senior Member
registered user
1] You don't say that you invoked
Code:
apt-get install grip
after - what is the result ?
2](i) The screen shot http://www.abload.de/img/aptgetscreen21l.png is not showing a 'show-stopper' failure of apt-get update ; it is telling you that the 'unofficial' codec packages are not verified by your system.
2](ii) You can still download & install them by accepting them unverified when prompted by apt-get install <whatever-codec>
2](iii) The verification tool is installed as follows ; from a root-privileged console invoke successively :-
apt-get install debian-multimedia-keyring
gpg --keyserver hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys 1F41B907
gpg --armor --export 1F41B907 | apt-key add -
(I recommend that you copy & paste each complete line into the console to avoid transcription errors).
*Don't* give up if you think you see an error reported
complete the instructions, then try again and report as necessary.
Similar Threads
-
By labero in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-17-2009, 11:44 PM
-
By jjbergdolt in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-13-2005, 01:41 PM
-
By rivendels in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-25-2005, 02:03 PM
-
By dantheman10110 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-10-2005, 06:29 PM
-
By fingers99 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-29-2004, 03:39 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.98