-
Cannot determine filesystem type when trying to recover data
I'm using Knoppix to try to get my neighbour's data from failed hard drive on his Sony laptop (Windows XP Home).
I can browse the hard drive with his Sony applications. I can browse the memory stick that I want to copy his data to.
We can't see his data. There are two other drives that I can't enter, because of the error: "mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified.
Can anyone tell me how to specify the filesystem type.
I have very basic (and old) Unix knowledge.
If I type cat /etc/fstab
I get:
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /media/hda1 ntfs noauto, users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda2 /media/hda2 auto noauto, users,exec 0 0
I typed:
sudo mount -t ntfs -o uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix /dev/hda2 /media/hda2
I got the message:
NTFS signature is missing.
Similar Threads
-
By highanddry in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-27-2008, 04:59 AM
-
By Flipster in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-27-2006, 07:38 PM
-
By GuessWho in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-30-2005, 05:08 PM
-
By blkmagic in forum General Support
Replies: 14
Last Post: 11-26-2004, 06:12 PM
-
By craigw79 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-12-2004, 12:09 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1
$52.99

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99

PNY Optima SSD Series 240GB SATA III 6 Gb/s Solid State Drive
$39.99

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac
$60.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health
$56.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.80

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps
$37.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00