Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Cannot determine filesystem type when trying to recover data

  1. #1

    Cannot determine filesystem type when trying to recover data

    I'm using Knoppix to try to get my neighbour's data from failed hard drive on his Sony laptop (Windows XP Home).

    I can browse the hard drive with his Sony applications. I can browse the memory stick that I want to copy his data to.

    We can't see his data. There are two other drives that I can't enter, because of the error: "mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified.

    Can anyone tell me how to specify the filesystem type.

    I have very basic (and old) Unix knowledge.

    If I type cat /etc/fstab

    I get:

    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda1 /media/hda1 ntfs noauto, users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda2 /media/hda2 auto noauto, users,exec 0 0

    I typed:

    sudo mount -t ntfs -o uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix /dev/hda2 /media/hda2

    I got the message:

    NTFS signature is missing.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92
    This isn't going to be of much help to you, but this is just too creepy.
    I have had my disk crash today. My situation is slightly more complicated, in that it is one member of a RAID0 disk. I was going to try and recover something using Knoppix, but I am getting the same errors as you and no idea how to continue.

    I was going to write a post to the group: Does anyone know of any kind of a guide or something on the net, or even a book, or anything, that would tell me what I can do / try to recover data on a failed drive? Especially drives that have had their MBR, FAT, and / or other critical stuff crash.

    TIA, SiKing.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    59
    AlanDavidson-- run FDISK -L , if you can, post display other wise post what is listed under Id.
    Can you find out what is the last thing the neighbor did?



    SiKing- you should start your own post and not hijack a post , it gets to confussing on just who is talking to who.

  4. #4
    TopFarmer wrote:

    > run FDISK -L , if you can

    About 3 seconds after the disk is booted, the following (famous?) error message is displayed:

    Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart

    Therefore, CHKDSK cannot be run.

    The Windows XP system CD gives the same message as above.

    The manufacturer's recovery disk can be read, but it sounds like a disk image. It will restore the PC to the programs and data that was on the machine when bought. All his own data would be overwritten. Knoppix of course can be read.

    TopFarmer wrote:

    > Can you find out what is the last thing the neighbor did?

    The machine gave the above error at boot. Pressing CTRL ALT DEL solved the problem. Same again at next reboot. This happened for a few days. On the last day, the machine would not start.

    He should probably have taken it back to the shop sooner. (The shop says that he needs a new hard drive. They said nothing can be done. They have obviously never heard of stuff like Knoppix.)

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by TopFarmer
    SiKing- you should start your own post and not hijack a post , it gets to confussing on just who is talking to who.
    Sorry, I thought it was on topic. As for the confusion, this forum does allow quoting ...

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    59
    SiKing-You are on the same type of problem but it can create problems when trying to remember just who has wrote what. ( My be just my opinion only )
    My knowledge of RAID is zero , so any suggestions could make things worse.


    For both- would use the hdd's manufacture's test program and verify if the hdd is good or bad. Only if it tests good then one can try methods for recovery with out a waste of time.

    AlanDavidson- if you are running FDISK -L under linux and get that error , would say bad hdd, IDE cable,bios battery (if laptop has one). Does the post screen or if you enter bios, is the hdd identified correctly ?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Try TestDisk

    I have used the application TestDisk to resurrect a trashed hard disk with good success. It had multiple partitions and they were all gone. Just a scrambled egg kinda mess. It restored all but one of the partitions. I was able to restore that one from a backup. I was impressed.

    You can get here:

    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

    It's available in almost any platform.

    It's free too!

    Good luck.

    sakiZ

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Try TestDisk

    Quote Originally Posted by sakiZ
    You can get here: ......
    Isn't this the same TestDisk that's already included with Knopix?
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Yipper

    Yeah, use that.

    sakiZ

Similar Threads

  1. FileSystem type for SCO 5.0.6
    By highanddry in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 04:59 AM
  2. cannot determine filesystem type
    By Flipster in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-27-2006, 07:38 PM
  3. Knoppix can't read the hard disk filesystem type?
    By GuessWho in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 05:08 PM
  4. Need to recover data, please help
    By blkmagic in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 06:12 PM
  5. Trying to recover data, need help please
    By craigw79 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 12:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11 picture

NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11

$450.00



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



HP Z840 44 Core Workstation 2x Xeon E5-2699 v4 - No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

HP Z840 44 Core Workstation 2x Xeon E5-2699 v4 - No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$594.97



Intel Xeon Gold 6248R 3.0GHz 24-Core SRGZG 35.75MB LGA3647 Server CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon Gold 6248R 3.0GHz 24-Core SRGZG 35.75MB LGA3647 Server CPU Processor

$269.99



Intel Xeon W-3245 3.2ghz 16-Core CPU OEM - 2019 Mac Pro 7,1 picture

Intel Xeon W-3245 3.2ghz 16-Core CPU OEM - 2019 Mac Pro 7,1

$395.95



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99