Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: NTFS Persistent Home?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    22

    NTFS Persistent Home?

    Hi,

    I love knoppix DVD, however, i want to make a persistent home otherwise my work is almost useless. The problem is atm is that i have both my hard drives seperately partitioned with NTFS

    Partitioning is not an option, using the latest (5.1.1) knoppix dvd, is it possible to have a persistent home in a NTFS hard drive? Pretty much not as a partition but just as a folder/file.


    i read it possible on older knoppixs, what about current?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92
    I don't see why it should not work. Have you tried it?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    22
    Will the hard drive be formatted? If it wont I'm up for it.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    toronto, canada
    Posts
    87

    Re: NTFS Persistent Home?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laos
    Hi,

    I love knoppix DVD, however, i want to make a persistent home otherwise my work is almost useless. The problem is atm is that i have both my hard drives seperately partitioned with NTFS

    Partitioning is not an option, using the latest (5.1.1) knoppix dvd, is it possible to have a persistent home in a NTFS hard drive? Pretty much not as a partition but just as a folder/file.
    I have a similar situation. I bought the smallest, cheapest USB drive possible (I assume you probably have available USB ports, given that you have a DVD drive). The path is:

    K -> Knoppix -> configure -> save consistent image (It might be persistent - I'm reading from my notes). Go with the default size of 100M. I had weird grief with any other size.

    You leave the USB key in the port until you shutdown AND the drive is sync'd and unmounted.

    To boot, you put the DVD in the drive, the USB in the port, and re-boot. Then use the cheatcode knoppix home=scan.

    Cheers!

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    22
    i tried to do this on a NTFS partition, it finishes, i shutdown and reboot etc. and use the cheatcode but i wont detect the knoppix persistent home image

    i see the image on the hard drive too!

    I also tried manually with home=/dev/sda2

    P.S. would the fact i start knoppix with two cheat codes cause a problem?

    boot: knoppix home=scan xmodule=vesa

    thats my boot command

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    toronto, canada
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Laos
    i tried to do this on a NTFS partition, it finishes, i shutdown and reboot etc. and use the cheatcode but i wont detect the knoppix persistent home image

    i see the image on the hard drive too!

    I also tried manually with home=/dev/sda2

    P.S. would the fact i start knoppix with two cheat codes cause a problem?

    boot: knoppix home=scan xmodule=vesa
    Are you saying you created the image on your NTFS partition? I haven't tried to make my HD writable (by default, it's read only), but I have heard that it can be dangerous. That's why I suggested the USB key. Also, I've used three and more cheat codes without a problem, other than typos. I have never used an xmodule cheat, however.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    22
    I've heard rumors of ways to do this with a CD, however atm i cannot grab a 4 gig USB unit.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    toronto, canada
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Laos
    ... i cannot grab a 4 gig USB unit.
    I just bought a 256M USB drive. The default size of 100M seemed to work best for me anyway.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    22
    if anyone can think of why it doesnt work let me know, thanks

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Laos
    if anyone can think of why it doesnt work let me know, thanks
    Which "it" are you referring to?

    Try it out! Your existing partition will not be formatted. The persistent home only creates a file on a partition of your choice, size of your choice. If this gives you problems, post more information: what did you try, what happened ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Persistent home from NTFS works in Knoppix 3.8.1
    By eco2geek in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-05-2006, 12:13 AM
  2. Working with a persistent home on a NTFS partition
    By ugo in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-13-2006, 06:36 PM
  3. Persistent home and NTFS
    By mattperkins26 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 01:05 PM
  4. persistent home on captive ntfs
    By knopstar in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2004, 03:54 AM
  5. Persistent home possible with captive NTFS?
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 12:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points - Tested & Working (AP Only) picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points - Tested & Working (AP Only)

$89.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch

$69.99



Cisco Catalyst C9300X-NM-2C 2-Port 40G/100G Multi Gig picture

Cisco Catalyst C9300X-NM-2C 2-Port 40G/100G Multi Gig

$775.00



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco RV320 + RV325 + MERAKI MX64 *UNTESTED NO POWER SUPPLIES* picture

Cisco RV320 + RV325 + MERAKI MX64 *UNTESTED NO POWER SUPPLIES*

$100.00