I don't see why it should not work. Have you tried it?
Hi,
I love knoppix DVD, however, i want to make a persistent home otherwise my work is almost useless. The problem is atm is that i have both my hard drives seperately partitioned with NTFS
Partitioning is not an option, using the latest (5.1.1) knoppix dvd, is it possible to have a persistent home in a NTFS hard drive? Pretty much not as a partition but just as a folder/file.
i read it possible on older knoppixs, what about current?
I don't see why it should not work. Have you tried it?
Will the hard drive be formatted? If it wont I'm up for it.
I have a similar situation. I bought the smallest, cheapest USB drive possible (I assume you probably have available USB ports, given that you have a DVD drive). The path is:Originally Posted by Laos
K -> Knoppix -> configure -> save consistent image (It might be persistent - I'm reading from my notes). Go with the default size of 100M. I had weird grief with any other size.
You leave the USB key in the port until you shutdown AND the drive is sync'd and unmounted.
To boot, you put the DVD in the drive, the USB in the port, and re-boot. Then use the cheatcode knoppix home=scan.
Cheers!
i tried to do this on a NTFS partition, it finishes, i shutdown and reboot etc. and use the cheatcode but i wont detect the knoppix persistent home image
i see the image on the hard drive too!
I also tried manually with home=/dev/sda2
P.S. would the fact i start knoppix with two cheat codes cause a problem?
boot: knoppix home=scan xmodule=vesa
thats my boot command
Are you saying you created the image on your NTFS partition? I haven't tried to make my HD writable (by default, it's read only), but I have heard that it can be dangerous. That's why I suggested the USB key. Also, I've used three and more cheat codes without a problem, other than typos. I have never used an xmodule cheat, however.Originally Posted by Laos
I've heard rumors of ways to do this with a CD, however atm i cannot grab a 4 gig USB unit.
I just bought a 256M USB drive. The default size of 100M seemed to work best for me anyway.Originally Posted by Laos
if anyone can think of why it doesnt work let me know, thanks
Which "it" are you referring to?Originally Posted by Laos
Try it out! Your existing partition will not be formatted. The persistent home only creates a file on a partition of your choice, size of your choice. If this gives you problems, post more information: what did you try, what happened ...

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99
IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM 02CL197 FLASH SYSTEM 840-900 LITHIUM ION SERVER BATTERY MODULE 990854
$225.00
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$54.99