Hey everyone:
I've been able to get this wireless nic going on other linux's but not Knoppix. Here's all the info:
# lsmod
orinoco_cs 13576 0
orinoco 37280 1 orinoco_cs
hermes 6272 2 orinoco_cs,orinoco
pcmcia 31272 1 orinoco_cs
pcmcia_core 34488 4 orinoco_cs,pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic# lsusb
Bus 1 Device 2: ID 047e:0300 Agere Systems, Inc. (Lucent)
Bus 1 Device 1: ID 0000:0000# uname -r
2.6.20-BT-PwnSauce-NOSMPCopied both drivers to the appropriate places:#dmesg
uhci_hcd 0000:00:07.2: UHCI Host Controller
uhci_hcd 0000:00:07.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
uhci_hcd 0000:00:07.2: irq 10, io base 0x0000d000
usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
orinoco_ezusb_fw and orinoco_usb_fw.h in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware and in /lib/firmware and in /lib/hotplug/firmware.
my iwconfig doesn't show the proper device name being loaded:
lo no wireless extensions.
wifi0 no wireless extensions. (My Netgear WG311T)
eth0 no wireless extensions. (my 3Com Nic)
One thing I am having trouble doing is loading the module on startup(I modprobe after the system has loaded), Could this be the reason WHY?
When I load it using MODPROBE orinoco_cs then this shows in dmesg:
orinoco 0.15 (David Gibson <[email protected]>, Pavel Roskin <[email protected]>, et al)
orinoco_cs 0.15 (David Gibson <[email protected]>, Pavel Roskin <[email protected]>, et al)
I just don't know where to load those modules ON STARTUP in knoppix. I've checked everywhere but nothing.
Thx for any help. I'm truly stumped.

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99
Intel Xeon E-2388G 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU Processor LGA 1151 SRKMZ
$799.99
HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC
$184.99
Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00
AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-Core 16-Thread 4.6GHz Max Boost, 3.8 GHz Base
$170.00
AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99
$600.00
Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00