Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: I can't install knoppix dvd but I can install the cd

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2

    I can't install knoppix dvd but I can install the cd

    I want to install knoppix dvd and I can't do it. I installed one time succesfully though.
    However I can install knoppix cd, and begins installing with 1%, while with dvd it begins with 80% and it stucks there. The percentage don't move anymore. These are the partitions I have:

    01 sda-1 free hidden 7.81 mb
    02 sda1 extended 56 gb
    03 sda5 reiserfs activa 56 gb
    04 sda3 linuxswap 3 gb
    05 sda2 fat32 15.42

    so it always ask me to install in sda5, it doesn't give me other option.
    I also don't know what is the sda-1 partition, with hidden state, is it usual to have this in the hard drive?

    Thanks and regards

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177

    Re: I can't install knoppix dvd but I can install the cd

    Quote Originally Posted by evangelion
    I want to install knoppix dvd and I can't do it. I installed one time succesfully though.
    Please clarify the statement for us; was the successful installation :-
    - from the same physical DVD ?
    - witth the same version of Knoppix ? ...
    - ...and which Knoppix is it ?
    - installation to the same hardware ?

    Quote Originally Posted by evangelion
    However I can install knoppix cd, and begins installing with 1%, while with dvd it begins with 80% and it stucks there. The percentage don't move anymore. These are the partitions I have:

    01 sda-1 free hidden 7.81 mb
    02 sda1 extended 56 gb
    03 sda5 reiserfs activa 56 gb
    04 sda3 linuxswap 3 gb
    05 sda2 fat32 15.42
    When you obtained this data (please identify which method you used), exactly what was installed in which partition:-
    - Windows in sda2 perhaps ?
    - your Knoppix CD installation in sda5 ? ...
    - ... and if so did you install the Boot Loader in the root partition sda5 or in the Master Boot Record ?

    Quote Originally Posted by evangelion
    so it always ask me to install in sda5, it doesn't give me other option.
    (... as expected).

    Quote Originally Posted by evangelion
    I also don't know what is the sda-1 partition, with hidden state, is it usual to have this in the hard drive?
    - (Might it be the space allocated to the Master Boot Record ?) ... what is the output of fdisk -l ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8
    I think you have a corrupt dvd, try going to init 4 and installing from there, then you can see the error messages,so
    #init 4
    #knoppix-installer

    if you see some IO error repeating itself, eject the edvd and reinsert it

Similar Threads

  1. Apt-get better with Debian install than Knoppix install?
    By susanjohnson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM
  2. Knoppix install read error around 80%, install another way?
    By nmz787 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 09:17 AM
  3. Knoppix HDD install Vs. regular Debian install
    By Jez in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
  4. HD install+Nvidia driver install = no kernel headers aargh
    By nishtya in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 10:08 PM
  5. saving home from hd-install, so i can install new knoppix
    By Superstoned in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$329.00



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99