Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Create Own Custom LiveCD based on Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4

    Create Own Custom LiveCD based on Knoppix

    I would like to make a custom application livecd which will run at very first.

    After starting the X session, KNOPPIX itself runs (?).
    But I want to run my application before KNOPPIX run, I mean My application will be the first application after booting the KNOPPIX livecd.

    Have anyone done this already ? Please help me if some did it.

    I guess for this purpose I don't need any packages of KNOPPIX but the X Windows files. Am I right ?

    Thanks in advanced
    -Same

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    Can you explain more. I do not think the idea is clear. What do you mean by starting an application before KNOPPIX?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4

    About Custom Application

    Thanks for the comments.

    In most cases KDE is loaded it brings it's own set of configs & settings. Once KDE is fully loaded, the /home/knoppix/Desktop/KNOPPIX.desktop
    file is run. It opens up Konqueror and displays the /cdrom/index.html

    But I want to run my Custom Application (for example a PC utility, like some Partition utility) after KDE load.
    For example DSL (Damn Small Linux) has made their desktop.

    I don't want to run any desktop, but only my utility program after boot the PC.

    Actually I am developing a PC utility (Disk Eraser) for my own interest. And I need to run this utility at the very first time,
    because I need to access the System disk.

    I want to use KNOPPIX because It has all the configuration already.
    And I can't manually create such liveCD with only by myself.
    I have tried many months, but failed.

    I think now you understand my point.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: About Custom Application

    Quote Originally Posted by samesky_j
    Actually I am developing a PC utility (Disk Eraser) for my own interest. And I need to run this utility at the very first time,
    because I need to access the System disk.
    Hmmm......, you want to build a CD that boots and immidately runs a disk eraser. What could go wrong here?
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4
    Hi,

    Yeah you got my idea. The KNOPPIX size is very big regarding my needs.
    I need only the modules , X11 system and my custom application.

    But the problems, how will I remove a huge packages that don't need for me.
    And basically I am weak in understanding the X11 system, how it starts and how to use.

    Moreover I am weak in auto loading necessary modules for my system.
    So I want to use existing KNOPPIX after remastering...

    I would be very pleased if you give me some hits.

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    16
    I don't see any responses yet so I'll give a few hints - hope this isn't too late.

    use the remastering process as documented (I don't have the link here) which is more or less:
    unpack ISO, unpack compressed FS, copy compressed FS, chroot and change as desired, create compressed FS, create new ISO

    while working in the chroot environment, use apt-get to remove large packages like openoffice.
    remember to use "apt-get --purge remove <package>"

    If you do not need it, get rid of KDE, or at least some of the languages, and either replace it with something lighter like fluxbox.

    If you need specific help with parts of the remastering process, post questions. there are a lot of detail left out of the above brief summary, like mounting and unmounting /proc, copying a resolv.conf, and cleanup, etc.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4

    I don't see any responses yet so I'll give a few hints - hop

    Thanks for reply. I have tried already that you suggested. But the size is still big for my need.
    Besides KNOPPIX has 1000 of packages, and I am very confused for which package it breaks the system that I remove.

    I need around 70 MB (most size is needed for kernel modules) which will be much less after zip.

    I am now remastering the GParted which will be perfect for my needs.

    Regards
    -Same

Similar Threads

  1. installing livecd based on 3.6 on hard disk but no installer
    By xtomcatx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2006, 12:44 PM
  2. Problems with custom kernel: "/linuxrc: cannot create..
    By mkg in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 01:02 AM
  3. Create custom home enviroment at boot (all from cd !!)
    By ktheking in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-07-2003, 03:43 PM
  4. Web-based ICQ (ICQ2GO - Jawa based) with Knoppix
    By pilovis in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 09:17 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 03:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Amiga Commodore A500  - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage picture

Amiga Commodore A500 - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage

$200.00



COMMODORE 1541-II FLOPPY DRIVE FOR C64 64C 128 TESTED AND WORKING LX56 💾 picture

COMMODORE 1541-II FLOPPY DRIVE FOR C64 64C 128 TESTED AND WORKING LX56 💾

$159.99



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



COMMODORE 64 COMPUTER 250407 HEATSINKS C64 TESTED AND WORKING LOT#X58 💻 picture

COMMODORE 64 COMPUTER 250407 HEATSINKS C64 TESTED AND WORKING LOT#X58 💻

$179.99



Commodore 64  Computer With Original Box, Manual, Vinyl Cover And 20 Loose Games picture

Commodore 64 Computer With Original Box, Manual, Vinyl Cover And 20 Loose Games

$150.00



Abacus Software Commodore 128 C-128 Book Lot 8 BASIC 7.0 CP/M CAD Manuals picture

Abacus Software Commodore 128 C-128 Book Lot 8 BASIC 7.0 CP/M CAD Manuals

$500.00



Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA picture

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA

$10.49



Commodore 64 Vintage Computer System *PARTS/AS IS* picture

Commodore 64 Vintage Computer System *PARTS/AS IS*

$70.00



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99