Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix cd that autoloads "vmware player"

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix cd that autoloads "vmware player"

    Hello,

    Can anyone help me customize a bootable Knoppix cd that autoloads "vmware player" and The virtual image i want to autoload is windows xp pro.

    loads/starts a virtual image inside of Knoppix?

    Can pay for help!

    contact me by pm

    best regards,
    Johan

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2
    can no one help me with this?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177

    Re: Knoppix cd that autoloads "vmware player"

    Quote Originally Posted by divisionmd
    ...Can anyone help me customize a bootable Knoppix cd that autoloads "vmware player" and The virtual image i want to autoload is windows xp pro. loads/starts a virtual image inside of Knoppix?Johan
    OK, in response to your specific request I'll answer as far as I can and as far as I understand your 'autoload' requirements.

    Step [1] installing vmware player
    You install vmware player as chroot during the remastering in accordance with the standard procedures linked elsewhere in this forum. You could use the installation script that I append for guidance, with paths adjusted as necessary.

    As described in http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...145&highlight= you would have to run /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl once the system is up.

    Step [2] autoload vmware player ?
    I don't know whether you could auto-run /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl via e.g. a script in /etc/init.d symbolically linked from /etc/rcS.d - I haven't had the time or motivation to try it. I expect that /usr/bin/vmware would need the X-system to be up anyway, then you could bring it up in a couple of mouse-clicks.

    Step [3] autoload windows xp pro virtual image ?
    Sorry, I don't understand this, and I don't have xp pro anyway. I suspect you may need to get 'inside' VMware Player to do this - I haven't looked to see if/how it could be done.

    FWIW I just put together this script to load vmware player into the ramdisk of a live DVD - this would save remastering the compressed KNOPPIX file - at the price of using more ram (mine showed to be using ~500MB). But I expect you would anyway need to put the files in the root of the DVD image.
    You need the Knoppix 5.1.1 DVD anyway to give you the linux-headers-2.6.19_2.6.19-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #
    # Script to install VM Player in Live-CD-running Knoppix 5.1.1 ramdisk
    #
    # JohnnyH 28-6-2007
    
    PLAYER=VMware-player-2.0.0-45731.i386.tar.gz # or whatever issue
    DEBpath=/media/hda3/DEBPROGS
    ROOTDIR=/ramdisk # change to / for an installed system
    echo "README: replace /media/hda3/DEBPROGS/ by your path to VMware-player-2.0.0-45731.i386.tar.gz"
    echo "and linux-headers-2.6.19_2.6.19-10.00.Custom_i386.deb" ; echo ""
    wd=$(pwd)
    dpkg -i -E $DEBpath/linux-headers-2.6.19_2.6.19-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
    echo "REM Knoppix 5.1.1 has  gcc-4.1 ; a symbolic link gcc may save you a question ;) " ; echo ""
    cd /usr/bin ; ln -s gcc-4.1 gcc ; echo ""
    cp -i $DEBpath/$PLAYER $ROOTDIR
    cd $ROOTDIR
    tar zfvx $PLAYER
    cd vmware-player-distrib
    echo "" ; echo "Make a note that your C header files are in $ROOTDIR/usr.src.linux-headers-2.6.19/include"
    echo "as, when running first-time in ramdisk, vmware-install.pl will ask you where they are ..." ; echo ""
    read -p "... <Enter> to continue when ready" ; echo ""
    perl vmware-install.pl
    cd $ROOTDIR
    rm -r vmware-player-distrib
    cd $wd
    [Edited 14:18 GMT]

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1

    Re: Knoppix cd that autoloads "vmware player"

    Quote Originally Posted by divisionmd

    Can anyone help me customize a bootable Knoppix cd that autoloads "vmware player" and The virtual image i want to autoload is windows xp pro.

    loads/starts a virtual image inside of Knoppix?
    I think what would work would be to remaster a knoppix CD with vmware player installed on the OS, so that it doesn't have to be reinstalled each time you boot.
    I think he also wants to add an image of windows XP to the CD, so that when it boots, he can run windows XP in vmplayer.
    I have been thinking of doing the same thing.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 10:02 PM
  2. startx with "root" and not with "knoppix"
    By ix86i in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 12:16 PM
  3. "Connection Reset by Peer" or "hang"
    By oreo in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
  4. "Foreign" drive formats and "dd" command
    By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
  5. Locate Knoppix "group" in "K" menu
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



Atari SX212 Modem for IBM Systems w/ Box, Owner's Manual & Power Adapter NOS picture

Atari SX212 Modem for IBM Systems w/ Box, Owner's Manual & Power Adapter NOS

$125.00



ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical  - USA Seller picture

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller

$29.99



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS picture

Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS

$120.00