can no one help me with this?![]()
Hello,
Can anyone help me customize a bootable Knoppix cd that autoloads "vmware player" and The virtual image i want to autoload is windows xp pro.
loads/starts a virtual image inside of Knoppix?
Can pay for help!
contact me by pm
best regards,
Johan
can no one help me with this?![]()
OK, in response to your specific request I'll answer as far as I can and as far as I understand your 'autoload' requirements.Originally Posted by divisionmd
Step [1] installing vmware player
You install vmware player as chroot during the remastering in accordance with the standard procedures linked elsewhere in this forum. You could use the installation script that I append for guidance, with paths adjusted as necessary.
As described in http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...145&highlight= you would have to run /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl once the system is up.
Step [2] autoload vmware player ?
I don't know whether you could auto-run /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl via e.g. a script in /etc/init.d symbolically linked from /etc/rcS.d - I haven't had the time or motivation to try it. I expect that /usr/bin/vmware would need the X-system to be up anyway, then you could bring it up in a couple of mouse-clicks.
Step [3] autoload windows xp pro virtual image ?
Sorry, I don't understand this, and I don't have xp pro anyway. I suspect you may need to get 'inside' VMware Player to do this - I haven't looked to see if/how it could be done.
FWIW I just put together this script to load vmware player into the ramdisk of a live DVD - this would save remastering the compressed KNOPPIX file - at the price of using more ram (mine showed to be using ~500MB). But I expect you would anyway need to put the files in the root of the DVD image.
You need the Knoppix 5.1.1 DVD anyway to give you the linux-headers-2.6.19_2.6.19-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
[Edited 14:18 GMT]Code:#!/bin/bash # # Script to install VM Player in Live-CD-running Knoppix 5.1.1 ramdisk # # JohnnyH 28-6-2007 PLAYER=VMware-player-2.0.0-45731.i386.tar.gz # or whatever issue DEBpath=/media/hda3/DEBPROGS ROOTDIR=/ramdisk # change to / for an installed system echo "README: replace /media/hda3/DEBPROGS/ by your path to VMware-player-2.0.0-45731.i386.tar.gz" echo "and linux-headers-2.6.19_2.6.19-10.00.Custom_i386.deb" ; echo "" wd=$(pwd) dpkg -i -E $DEBpath/linux-headers-2.6.19_2.6.19-10.00.Custom_i386.deb echo "REM Knoppix 5.1.1 has gcc-4.1 ; a symbolic link gcc may save you a question ;) " ; echo "" cd /usr/bin ; ln -s gcc-4.1 gcc ; echo "" cp -i $DEBpath/$PLAYER $ROOTDIR cd $ROOTDIR tar zfvx $PLAYER cd vmware-player-distrib echo "" ; echo "Make a note that your C header files are in $ROOTDIR/usr.src.linux-headers-2.6.19/include" echo "as, when running first-time in ramdisk, vmware-install.pl will ask you where they are ..." ; echo "" read -p "... <Enter> to continue when ready" ; echo "" perl vmware-install.pl cd $ROOTDIR rm -r vmware-player-distrib cd $wd
I think what would work would be to remaster a knoppix CD with vmware player installed on the OS, so that it doesn't have to be reinstalled each time you boot.Originally Posted by divisionmd
I think he also wants to add an image of windows XP to the CD, so that when it boots, he can run windows XP in vmplayer.
I have been thinking of doing the same thing.

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
New Dell PowerEdge Server R360 Xeon E-2488 3.2G 16GB RAM 4X800GB SSD 6x600GB SAS
$3890.00
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99
Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95
Dell PowerEdge T140 Xeon E-2224 @ 3.40GHz, 8GB Ram, NO HDD's, NO OS
$399.99