Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: File manipulation via Network

  1. #1

    File manipulation via Network

    I am looking for a method to edit text files (only) through a network connection on my computer which is now running Knoppix. The host and controlling computer is running Windows XP.
    I have the network functioning properly, I can ping the computers without any problems and all my shared windows files are visible on the knoppix computer. When I attempt to share a knoppix folder (which will allow me to manipulate the files within that folder) I recieve an error - something in reference to a Perl file which may have the wrong value (when I search for the mentioned file, it is no where to be found on the computer).
    I have also tried setting up the remote desktop feature but I would rather use an approach that does not require me to install additional software on my computer running windows.

    Thank you for any help or suggestions you may be able to offer.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    you are at the windows computer and trying to acess the linux?
    if so start sshd on the linux computer and install something like winscp or putty on your windows computer.
    winscp is not unlike a filemanager and putty is a "remote console"

  3. #3
    i attempted the sshd method you mentioned and i was unable to access the other computer AND edit the files. i kept receiving an error telling me i did not have the correct permissions. I am using the windows computer and trying to edit files, specifically those in one folder, on my linux box. i do have putty.
    any suggestions or other methods that may work?
    thank you.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    If you have internet access on both computers try emailing the file to a yahoo or google mailbox back and forth. Not pretty but for one or two files it's pretty easy.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty
    If you have internet access on both computers try emailing the file to a yahoo or google mailbox back and forth. Not pretty but for one or two files it's pretty easy.
    Not pretty at all. I'll admit I have had some issues with sharing files between systems, sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't. Sounds to me like maybe doublerealroot still has the partition mounted as read only on the Linux box where he wishes to edit the file.

    I can't say how to edit the file across the network. If I had to edit and the file was on the Linux box I would telenet in or (as I do on my windows systems), access one system from another with vnc. If the issue becomes transfering files rather than editing then e-mail is the last resourt; I generally start a ftp server on the windows box and use konquror as a client on Knoppix. This transfers files much faster than fooling with microsoft networking (and ms seems to deliberately slow down xfers that are not between two xp boxes) and avoids having to make ms play friendly with linux.

Similar Threads

  1. Live CD and network file transfer speeds
    By camel_456 in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 09:18 AM
  2. network interface file
    By pboodi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2006, 03:33 AM
  3. Does Knoppix support file transfers through a network? L00k&
    By Officer_Dufus in forum General Support
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 02:00 AM
  4. simple image manipulation tools ?
    By garyng in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-27-2004, 08:16 PM
  5. Questions about defragmenting/low level HD manipulation with
    By jehan60188 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-22-2004, 07:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives picture

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives

$59.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$246.00



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99