Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Grip lists lame, but it seems to be missing: how to install?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8

    Grip lists lame, but it seems to be missing: how to install?

    Hi,

    Knoppix 4.0 comes with Grip, which lists many MP3-codecs (among them lame) but the only codec that really seems to be preinstalled can only produce ogg-files. Also, I've read that lame has not been preinstalled due to copyright problems. Anyway: does the latest Knoppix version come with lame? If not, can you tell me how to install it on Knoppix?

    keenPenguin

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    I don't know about Knoppix 5.2, but for 5.1.1 add
    Code:
    deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
    to your
    /etc/apt/sources.list
    and invoke (with root privilege)
    Code:
    apt-get install liblame0 lame

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8
    Hi Johnny,

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyH
    I don't know about Knoppix 5.2, but for 5.1.1 add
    Code:
    deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
    to your
    /etc/apt/sources.list
    and invoke (with root privilege)
    Code:
    apt-get install liblame0 lame
    What does
    Code:
     deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
    mean? As a command line in the terminal, it didn't work. And how do I add it to that list file? I went to http://www.debian-multimedia.org/mirrors.html, but did not find the corresponding line, as "etch" was not to be found there.

    keenPenguin

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    I infer from the context of your questions that you are actually running Knoppix 5.1.1 (?), in which case the following will be available to you:-
    1. Kmenu -> System -> More Applications -> File Manager - Super User Mode
    2. Navigate in file manager to /etc/apt
    3. Click on the sources.list file to open it with Kwrite
    4. Add to sources.list file the statement
    Code:
    deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
    BTW "etch" is an alias (or vice-versa) for what is now "stable" Debian. (I prefer to use named designations as it avoids ambiguity with older system sources.list files where "stable" used to be "sarge" - which is now "oldstable" . )
    BTW for these codec files you might be able to use lenny(=testing) or sid(=unstable) with Knoppix 5.1.1 libraries, but I haven't tried mixing them so no guarantees .
    5. Save the amended /etc/apt/sources.list file.
    6. From a root-privileged console invoke
    Code:
    apt-get update
    (I forgot to mention this first time )
    then
    Code:
    apt-get install  liblame0 lame
    and it should install for you .

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8
    Hi again JohnnyH,

    the steps you described worked perfectly on 5.1.1. But after executing them, I was shocked to find that Grip is missing. I tried all menues that made sense to find it, and I tried "grip" and "Grip" in the terminal, but Knoppix remained silent.

    Where is Grip? Or is there another ripping tool for MP3s?

    keenPenguin

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    Your question specifically asked about installing lame but not about grip ; grip is available in the normal Debian repository. BTW You can find whether this is the case for any package by going to
    http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
    and entering the package name in the appropriate search field. N.B. Sometimes you may know only the command name that you are looking for, which is not always the same as the package name; for this use the "Search the contents of packages" field.

    Code:
    apt-get install grip
    should get it for you.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8
    Hi JohnnyH,

    Well, first of all, thank you for your patience! But I feel I will have to put some further strain on it

    As already mentioned, the installation of lame worked fine. But after calling
    Code:
    apt-get install grip
    I get an error text. I made a screenshot here:
    http://www.abload.de/img/knoppixscreenzuv.png

    The screenshot is in German, but I hoped that you might happen to be familiar with this error. Anyway, calling grip does not work. If the screenshot does not really shed light on the problem, I might try to translate it, or download an English Knoppix 5.1.1. and repeat the process.

    keenPenguin

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    The error messages indicate significant incompatibility of your 5.1.1 libraries with what is *now* "testing" or "unstable" in the repositories.
    Invoking apt-get -f install (as it suggests) *might* work OK but it would be a pretty brutal upgrade step and might leave you with problems

    I suggest that you (backing it up first) replace your /etc/apt/sources.list file with the following which I use with 5.1.1 (I've left in the 'cruft' which you can remove if you like).
    [Edited line deb ... download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/debian sid main 14:07 hrs BST]
    Code:
     # deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ etch main
    
    deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ etch main non-free contrib
    #deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ etch main non-free contrib
    
    deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
    #deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
    
    # VLC Player and libdvdcss
    #deb http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/debian sarge main
    deb http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/debian sid main
    
    # w32codecs
    #deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org lenny main
    deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
    
    # cinelerra
    deb http://www.kiberpipa.org/~minmax/cinelerra/builds/sid/ ./
    If you are in the us you can replace uk by us to get your nearest mirror, or whatever is your appropriate country code.

    Then invoke successively
    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install grip
    and good luck

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8
    Hi JohnnyH,

    sorry for getting on your nerves, but apt-get just wouldn't work. I replaced my sources.list by yours, but calling
    Code:
     apt-get update
    always fails. Here's a screen shot:
    http://www.abload.de/img/aptgetscreen21l.png

    keenPenguin

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    1] You don't say that you invoked
    Code:
    apt-get install grip
    after
    Code:
    apt-get update
    - what is the result ?

    2](i) The screen shot http://www.abload.de/img/aptgetscreen21l.png is not showing a 'show-stopper' failure of apt-get update ; it is telling you that the 'unofficial' codec packages are not verified by your system.

    2](ii) You can still download & install them by accepting them unverified when prompted by apt-get install <whatever-codec>

    2](iii) The verification tool is installed as follows ; from a root-privileged console invoke successively :-

    apt-get install debian-multimedia-keyring
    gpg --keyserver hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys 1F41B907
    gpg --armor --export 1F41B907 | apt-key add -

    (I recommend that you copy & paste each complete line into the console to avoid transcription errors).

    *Don't* give up if you think you see an error reported complete the instructions, then try
    Code:
    apt-get update
    again and report as necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Exclude-lists to Knoppix 5.11. Does anyone have?
    By labero in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2009, 11:44 PM
  2. Grip - CD ripper
    By jjbergdolt in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-13-2005, 01:41 PM
  3. Defragmentation under linux. Lame question
    By rivendels in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 02:03 PM
  4. Building source : LAME encoder [Solved]
    By dantheman10110 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 06:29 PM
  5. lame >> toolame
    By fingers99 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 03:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640

$39.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99