Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Installing harddisks

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3

    Installing harddisks

    Okay, I'm not going to bullshit anyone; I don't have a hard time believeing that this question probably has been answered hundreds of times, and that the solution probibly is so simple that any fool should be able to figure it out after an hour of trying. However, I don't. I've been using the knoppix live-cd since my windows crashed, and I need to access my hard drives to be able to move my files before formatting the computer. I've been searching the forums a bit, but this problem, with a solution I guess is pretty obvious to everyone with a tad of experience, I have not managed to find answered in threads.

    So here it is: how do I access my hard drives through knoppix? USB-devices are found immediately, the hdd's arent. Do I use a certain program, or a scrips to do this? (As you can see I'm a total noob, this is my first time using anything other than Mac or Windows)

    Also, as a side-question, are there any programs for knoppix that can burn data-DVDs? I wonder, because I can't use the DVD-rom since knoppix is running from the CD in there ... Do I have to install knoppix to one of my hdd's to be able to use the CD-rom while using knoppix?

    Any help is appreciated, and again, sorry to bother you with problems I'm ashamed of not finding answers to myself.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Installing harddisks

    Quote Originally Posted by Cinemarxism
    ... since my windows crashed, .... USB-devices are found immediately, the hdd's arent......
    Normally there are icons for each hard drive partition on the desktop, similar to what you see for your USB devices (but marked with names like hda1 and hda5 for ide type hard drives). If you don't have them then it's very likely that something happened to the partition table in the crash or that the drive itself is no longer working. If it's just a partition table you may be able to recover it easily with Knoppix, see the man pages for gpart and testdisk for details. But be warned that not all windows crashes can be recovered easily (I have 2 hard drives that I still can't get the files back from).
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3
    Sorry, calling what has been happening a "crash" was actually pretty redicilous, just didn't find a suitable word to explain it. Windows havn't really crashed. What happens is that I'm able to use the computer for about 5-10 minutes after startup, then my computer starts freezing in segments that can last from 10 seconds to 5 minutes (and it happens with something like 2 minutes between every freeze when in windows). After something like 30 minutes the computer restarts. So I've been able to mail myself some documents from windows before all hell breaks loose, but I never have time for any "big" actions.

    So hdd's can be accessed from Windows.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinemarxism
    So hdd's can be accessed from Windows.
    I've never personally seen a case where the hard disks could be accessed from windows but not Knoppix, but you really are not giving us any information about the system and seem to want us to tease the facts from you. OK. Is this some non standard disk interface, or is it normal IDE? You don't have these disks running in a raid array do you? (A software based raid sysytem rather than a true hardware raid array requires special drivers be loaded in the computer to access the drive, and most manufacturers only release their special drivers for Windows). Have you any insight on what was failing after 15 minutes (after all, it sounds like the computer is OK, if it runs fine under Knoppix)? What is the hardware (motherboard, cpu, memory, any special interface cards)?
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3
    Sorry for the late response, been real busy with exams this week.

    There's nothing "funny" with my setup of hardware, there's two SATA HDD's connected directly to the controller on the main board. The mainboard is a VIA K8T Neo, and my prosessor is an AMD 3200+. Memory: unknown crappy 1GB Ram.

    I don't exactly know what's failing, but when the computer freezes the usage of CPU is set to 100%, don't understand how, though. The exact same thing happened to me about one year ago, but I had all my files backed up back then. Could it be a software-related problem? Anyways, I recall having a problem finding my second hdd in windows when installing it, I don't remember how that got solved. Never had any problems finding the first hdd, though.

    Thanks for all your help so far, and I'm really sorry about not being able to explain the situation better than this. My knowledge is very limited.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinemarxism
    There's nothing "funny" with my setup of hardware, there's two SATA HDD's connected directly to the controller on the main board. The mainboard is a VIA K8T Neo....
    What version Knoppix? For good SATA support I would try using the newest 5.11, I don't know for sure when SATA support for your chip set was included (actually, I don't even know it's in 5.11, but I do expect it is).

    Quote Originally Posted by Cinemarxism
    Memory: unknown crappy 1GB Ram.
    If you think there is a memory issue (and maybe there is if windows crashes minutes after booting. boot the Knoppix CD and type in memtest at the prompt. If there is a memory issue I would resolve it before transfering files, as xtranfering files with bad memory could result in corrupt files.

Similar Threads

  1. Hangs when scanning harddisks partitions
    By Jaster in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 03:42 PM
  2. how to mount harddisks on systemstart
    By magicoizo in forum General Support
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-22-2004, 04:35 PM
  3. installing knoppix vs installing Linux from scratch
    By jza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2 picture

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2

$70.00



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical  - USA Seller picture

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller

$29.99



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm picture

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm

$48.95