Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: usb flash drive doesn't work after booting without udev

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NL
    Posts
    2

    usb flash drive doesn't work after booting without udev

    I'm new with linux, so to try it I downloaded Knoppix V5.1.1.
    After burning the CD I put it in the diskdrive, restarted the conputer and waited, it didn't work in one time, but at last it worked when I typed "expert noudev noaudio", so I could see what it looked like.

    But now my problem, I can't look in my USB flash drive, I suspect that's because of the noudev part (I don't know what udev is, but it can't be because of the no audio, can it?).

    Does anybody know how to fix this (by loading udev after I started knoppix maybe, but how). Maybe this also fixes my strange acting USB mouse, it jumps from left to right and back if I'm trying to point something (and I didn't drink )

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92

    Re: usb flash drive doesn't work after booting without udev

    Quote Originally Posted by EV-vD
    I'm new with linux, so to try it I downloaded Knoppix V5.1.1.
    Welcome, hope you stay a while.

    Quote Originally Posted by EV-vD
    But now my problem, I can't look in my USB flash drive, I suspect that's because of the noudev part (I don't know what udev is, but it can't be because of the no audio, can it?).
    You're correct, it's the udev part. udev is quite important to Linux, as it basically handles a lot of your hardware, such as USB flash drives.

    Quote Originally Posted by EV-vD
    Does anybody know how to fix this (by loading udev after I started knoppix maybe, but how).
    Yes, you will need udev. How far does the boot get, if you supply no cheatcodes at all? You will need to figure out what is it that is causing the problems, and disable just that. noudev is almost like disabling half of your computer.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NL
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for your quick answer, I appreciate it, but (as always) after I posted the question I found the answer: I read about somebody who solved it by changing something in the BIOS, so I tried that (with some care, I don't want to make the other users of this computer too angry by making changes they do notice, but as you can see my computer still works ).
    It worked, so this problem is solved: I can start by just pressing " enter" now. But I'll probably return with some other questions later.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    16
    care to post a link to that BIOS fix?

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by wbatw
    care to post a link to that BIOS fix?
    I hope not. Doing so would only cause confusion and might get some people to ruin their mother boards. You don't just flip a few bits to fix a BIOS, you flash it with new BIOS code (for any modern BIOS), and that code is very specific to the manufacturer and specific motherboard model. So the best advice if you're seeing the same problems and hope to fix it by fixing the BIOS would be to check your manufacturer's website and see if there is an update posted, and flash your BIOS with that if it's newer than your current BIOS.

    It likely would be helpful if we knew what brand of BIOS was affected by this problem (not what brand of motherboard, but what brand of BIOS it uses, AMI, Pheonix or whatever), and if there is any insight on a specific fix in the update notes that addresses this, so that others could confirm that their new BIOS also has this fix. Note: Some manufacturers may put out updates more slowly (or not at all) than other motherboard manufacturers. If this is the case your only fix may be to pester the motherboard manufacturer or buy a different motherboard (hopefully a different brand).

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    16
    so - what other forums can we go to for useful knoppix info?

Similar Threads

  1. UDEV problem: Starting udev hardware detection ....( hang)
    By Vetrivela in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-12-2009, 04:46 PM
  2. Copy file from hard drive to usb flash drive
    By PaulKraemer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
  3. Permanent home onto Sandisk USB flash drive ruined drive
    By mjman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
  4. Booting Knoppix from a USB Flash drive
    By KnoppIXuser in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-08-2003, 01:27 AM
  5. Booting Knoppix from USB Flash drive
    By KnoppIXuser in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2003, 07:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server Intel Xeon E5630 4GB DDR3 No HDD picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server Intel Xeon E5630 4GB DDR3 No HDD

$279.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 ) picture

IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )

$24.99